Too Late

Farhan's heart was beating like a drum in his chest. The room felt 30 degrees hotter.

Issa looked at him, with her usual sultry expression, "He went to the rest room," she said in a snarky tone.

Farhan dashed out of office door. As he ran, he could hear the thermos he was holding hit the floor, curry was probably everywhere. He ran down the hall until he saw the entrance to the men's bathroom. Once inside, he could hear the haggard breathing of someone from beyond one of the stall doors.

"Sang Woo?" he called out.

"Farh—..."

Farhan ran to the stall and saw Sang Woo sitting on a toilet, his face was red, and his breathing was uneven and forced.

"Hello? Mr. Choi are you okay," Farhan heard from the phone next to Sang Woo's ear. It seemed that Sang Woo was trying to call Secretary Lee. Sang Woo looked up at Farhan with a worried expression. He looked helpless.

Farhan grabbed the phone and shouted, "Secretary Lee, it's Farhan. Sang Woo is having an allergic reaction. He ate cookies with nuts in them."

Farhan heard Secretary Lee gasp on the other end.

"Does he have an Epi-Pen or anything? He won't make it at this rate," Farhan looked at Sang Woo, who was now gripping his chest. His breathing grew even worse. Farhan laid his hand on Sang Woo's head. Farhan jumped when he felt Sang Woo's hand envelop his.

Farhan knew he had to keep his composure, even if his heart ached to see Sang Woo like this.

"De... Desk," Sang Woo said looking up at Farhan.

"I have his Epi-Pen, I am heading back now but we've hit traffic, FUCK!" Secretary Lee exclaimed.

"He's saying desk," Farhan repeated as Sang Woo kept repeating the word over and over.

"Desk?" Secretary Lee was quiet, "Oh, yes, there's an expired Epi-Pen in the bottom drawer of my desk."

Farhan's legs moved before his brain registered where he was going. He sprinted out of the bathroom towards the desk outside Sang Woo's office, phone in hand. The desk seemed to have more drawers than a regular desk, and Farhan ripped through each drawer, tearing papers from their place until his eyes fell upon the yellow case.

"I found it!" he yelled into the phone. He grabbed it and ran back to the bathroom. Sang Woo was now on the floor, fighting for each breath. His face was transitioning from red to a pale blue.

Farhan opened the package and stabbed Sang Woo in the leg. His many years of working at his agency, required that he take courses in CPR and learn how to administer an epinephrine shot to a client.

Sang Woo inhaled loudly. Farhan was relieved. He looked at his hands, they were shaking. He'd never dealt with a situation like this before.

"I've alerted the front desk to call an ambulance, they should be there in five minutes," Secretary Lee said.

Farhan exhaled. He felt like he'd been holding his breath the entire time. "Thank you, he's responding to the shot."

"That's good but it's still an expired shot. He needs medical attention immediately."

"Okay," Farhan disconnected the call. Sang Woo was now sitting up, his breathing seemed regulated and he was lucid.

'Are you okay?" Farhan finally asked.

Sang Woo nodded. His face was still red from the ordeal.

"Yes, thank you," Sang Woo leaned his head back on the stall wall and closed his eyes.