The Break

Farhan paced. Several minutes passed since he and Sang Woo disconnected the call. He was even more confused than before.

What has gotten into Sang Woo? He thought.

"Hey Farhan, I'm taking off," Myra said sticking her head in his office.

"Uh, yeah ok," he said, flashing a strained smile.

"Are you okay?" she asked; her brows furrowed.

"Yes, just drained from that meeting earlier."

Myra grimaced. "Well if you need anything, you know how to reach me."

Farhan nodded. She closed the door behind her. Farhan looked at the clock. Time was going so slowly as he waited for Sang Woo.

Suddenly Farhan heard voices outside his office. It was Myra and Sang Woo. Farhan walked over to his desk and took a seat. He tried to calm himself as his heart pounded in his chest.

The door opened, revealing Sang Woo whose face looked as if he could kill someone. Sang Woo walked into the office and closed the door behind him.

"So, you mind telling me what all this is about?"

Sang Woo scoffed. "You're such a good actor Mr. Ajam... acting like you don't know what this is about." Sang Woo's tone was condescending, and he stared daggers into Farhan's face.

"It's not acting. I don't know what this is about. Why do you want to end the contract?"

"Why don't you ask Mohammed? You and he seem to be on speaking terms, especially when I'm not around." Sang Woo sat down in the seat across from Farhan's desk.

Farhan's eyes widened. "How did you know Mohammed was here? Did Myra..."

"No, the man himself told me he was here." Sang Woo scoffed. "Trying to lie to me?"

"No, I wasn't. I can explain..."

"No need Mr. Ajam. I want to dissolve our agreement, you're no longer my business partner."

Farhan stared at him.

"It's clear that has been some misconduct on your part so..."

"Fine," Farhan interrupted. He thought about Mohammed's article. It would be best if Sang Woo were no longer affiliated with him before the story caught on.

Sang Woo blinked, seemingly surprised. "Excuse me, Farhan?"

"There is a substantial penalty fee for early termination, but I believe your resources will be more than sufficient to cover the loss."

Sang Woo clenched his jaw and said through his teeth, "This whole time... what was I to you?"

Farhan blinked. He had to maintain his composure; this decision would be the best for Sang Woo. "A client, of course."

Sang Woo stared at him.

Farhan pulled out a contract cancellation form from his desk drawer. "So, I will complete the top portion and you'll just need to sign and initial where I highlight."

Farhan kept his eyes on the form. He could feel Sang Woo's eyes still on him and filling out the form would be the perfect distraction from the tension that was building inside his office.

Sang Woo crossed his arms and leaned back in the chair. "I'm just... a client." Sang Woo said.

Farhan looked up. "Look Sang Woo..."

"Is it because of Ms. Aman?"

Farhan eyes widened. "Absolutely not, it's just... better this way."

"Better this way? Better for who, you and Mohammed?" Sang Woo's voice raised.

"No!"

"Then who? Who is it better for?" Sang Woo stood up.

"It's better for you. You're going to be glad I'm gone. You can get back to living your life."

Sang Woo grimaced. "Did Mohammed threaten you? Why are you saying it's better for me? Did something happen? His face was laced with concern and his brows were furrowed.

"You were the one who wanted to cancel the contract in the first place!" Farhan snapped. He was fed up, too tired and confused to keep his composure now.

"Because you are hiding something!"

Farhan froze. Sang Woo's keen sense never ceased to amaze him, this moment was no different. "No, it's nothing like that, I just want to end things. Why can't I do that?!" Farhan was pleading.

"Ok," Sang Woo's voice turned cold at the drop of a dime.

A sharp pain pierced Farhan's chest. He knew it was what was best for them both but his heart was burdened.

Farhan continued writing the information on the form. He turned the paper towards Sang Woo and placed his pen atop of it. "Sign here," he said signaling to the line where Sang Woo was to sign.

Sang Woo grabbed the pen and signed the paper quickly, not breaking eye contact with Farhan.

He slammed the pen onto the desk, the sound startled Farhan. Sang Woo pushed the paper and pen towards him, "Your turn."

Farhan turned the page and signed his signature as well. His hand shook as he signed on the line, ending their arrangement for good.

Once he'd completed signing, he put the pen down, the air between them was standing still.

"So that's that," Sang Woo said standing.

"Yeah," Farhan said, an indescribable feeling coming over him.

"It was nice doing business with you, Mr. Ajam," Sang Woo extended his hand.

Farhan forced a smile and stood to shake his hand as well. He grabbed Sang Woo's hand; it was firm. The men shook hands. Sang Woo buttoned his suit jacket and left without further eye contact. Once he was gone, Farhan halfway collapsed against the desk, suddenly lightheaded.

After what felt like forever, he parted the blinds to his office window, just in time to see Sang Woo get into his car. Through the window, Sang Woo then peered up at the office window. Farhan backed away and sat down.

His breathing became shallow. "Damn you." 

Don't be too sad loves :(