17

After Betty's ..."performance" FP came up the the stage. He placed his serpent jacket over her shoulders and ushered her away.

   "Giver her a round of applause." The whole crowd cheered. "And show her some of that serpent hospitality we're known for." I felt Pea chuckled behind me.

    "You know what? I've been in and out of the Serpents since I was younger than my son. And it's been...a wild ride. Good times, bad times, but through it all, Serpents stuck by my side, while most other people turned their backs on me. My own family included. Now, the letter of the law says I can't be here in the Serpent den. That I can't associate with my friends. My real family. My blood! But I've been thinking about that. And it'll be a cold day in hell before a snake lets a pig tell him what to do." The whole crowd cheered.

    "Northside wants me outta this gang." I suddenly felt uncomfortable. "Well they better bring a coffin because FP Jones isn't retiring! I am not going gently into the night. I am here to stay! So bring the fire!" The bar erupts. Sweet Pea cheers and I lock worried eyes with Jughead.

    I make my way to where Jug was standing, we don't say anything we just look at each other. Suddenly FP steps off the stage and come to us.

    "What happened to retiring?" I ask.

    He pulled Jug and I into a tight hug.

    "I know about the Snake Charmer. And the delivery and the debt you guys owe her. It was the one thing I asked you not to do. You too
Y/n."

    "I-I can fix this we can figure something out." Jug stutters.

    "No, I'm in. You two are out. Penny's my problem now." He pulls away and looks at us.

    A group of guys including Tall Boy and Sweet Pea came over and gave him a shot.

    "Hail the King!"

    FP looked Jug in the eyes and downed the shot.

    Sweet Pea wrapped his arms around me but I shake him off. Silently I rush out into the parking lot.

    "Hey! Y/n what's up?" Pea spoke behind me. "Are you okay?"

    "You know FP is a recovering alcoholic right?" I turned to face him.

    "Is that what you're upset about?" He placed a hand on my face but I pushed it off.

    "This isn't gonna work Sweet Pea." I choked back tears.

    "What?" He stepped back. "Are you-"

     "We're too difficult Sweet Pea. This.. the Southside, everything. This is your life, not mine."

    "So what? You're just leaving the Serpents."

    "No." I shook my head. "I'm leaving us. I'll pack my stuff." I got into my car and left as quickly as possible.

____

    I finished packing my bag when I heard an engine outside. After opening the door I saw Sweet Pea getting off his bike. He looked at me silently as a approached him. Without a word I took his hand and gave him my key.

    "Y/n-"

    "I'm sorry Pea."

    That was the last thing I said to him.