30

I woke up about an hour earlier than usual the next morning. I slowly got up making sure not to put too much strain on my arm and slowly put on my sling. The doctor made it very clear that moving it too much or touching it could be potentially dangerous.

I was still wearing my clothes that Sweet Pea had brought me while I was in the hospital but I didn't bother to change. I was hungry, I realized I hadn't eaten since before we chained ourselves to the building... two days ago. 

Getting down the steps was more difficult than expected, all of the medicine I was on at the hospital was beginning to wear off leaving my body feeling tired and heavy. When I got down the stairs I saw Sweet Pea still asleep on the couch. He looked kind of silly curled up on our tiny couch. I sat down on the edge of the couch being careful not to disturb him. I couldn't help myself from running my fingers through his soft hair that was curling slightly at the ends due to the fact he hadn't styled it in a while. Pea stirred a little but didn't wake up. 

Now I smelled breakfast, I turned to the kitchen and saw my aunt and uncle making breakfast, pretending that they weren't just watching. 

"Morning." I yawned a little and walked into the kitchen, taking a seat at a barstool.

"How'd you sleep?" Mary asked me.

"Good," I said as I took a stretch. "I like it when you come back Mary, normally Fred just gives me a piece of cold toast." I giggled.

"What happened with the Lodge contract by the way?" I asked curiously.

"Hiram doesn't plan on letting him out of the contract, but we'll figure it out." She placed her hand gently on my shoulder as she gave me a few pain pills and a glass of water. Fred placed a plate of eggs and hashbrowns in front of me which I happily took.

"What about the campaign?" I asked Fred before starting to eat.

"It's still early days Y/n, don't worry about it." He gave me a small smile. I hated this. I felt the two of them tiptoeing around me like a glass vase, worried that the slightest push would knock me over. Maybe what happened hadn't really sunk in yet, maybe it never would or maybe I just wanted to move on. I huffed in annoyance wanting to know about all of the drama that happened while I was gone.

"What about Archie? Is he still Hirams bitch?" I waited for the familiar yell for me to watch my language but it never came.

"Archie has his own opinions," Mary said vaguely.

"Where is Gingerbread anyways?" Sweet Pea's voice came from the living room. I perked up in my seat at the sound of his voice, it was always so much deeper in the morning.

"Good morning Sweets." I smiled at him. He mumbled a tired 'morning' and planted a kiss on the top of my head before sitting next to me. "Thankfully, Archie stayed the night with Ronnie."

"Why thankfully?" Mary asked. 

"Um... well," I tried to hold back a laugh. " Archie doesn't like Sweet Pea very much." Sweet Pea glared at me.

"Of course he doesn't, I don't know what's gotten into that boy lately." Mary shook her head disapprovingly before putting away her dishes.

We all ate and talked about boring, non-upsetting things like how Vegas wanted to sleep on the couch with Sweet Pea and how the flowers by the front door were starting to die. Though Mary seemed to worry that the flowers were too morbid.

"I'm gonna go get ready," I said as a stood up from the table.

"Y/n, you're not going to school today." Fred stopped me.