Part Twenty: The Cabellos (pt.1)

Betrayal.

The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from our enemies. Well, we don't place any sort of trust in our enemies to begin with, but the betrayal from your loved ones; friends, family, significant others, now that's where it hurts.

It has the power to destroy you.

The same way it slowly destroyed Camila's take on love and relationships.

Your dad isn't supposed to be the first man or the first person to break your heart. A father is a standard against which your daughters would judge the persons who want to love her, and a figure in which their sons should follow in their footsteps.

Cheating is a choice not a mistake.

You can be so completely in love with someone, treat them right, give them all that you have, but if they want to cheat, they will. And the sad truth is that, it's not even your fault. The relationship can be perfect but at some point your partner would become unsatisfied and wouldn't want you anymore.

How can you just leave someone's life? How is it so easy for the person who claimed they 'love' you to just walk away? What do they do with all the memories of the both of you laughing and talking at 3 A.M, under the night's sky looking up at the stars?

How can someone go from protecting you from the monsters under your bed, to filling your eyes with tears with the thought of them?

How could he have just left like that? Did he never care at all? 

Camila often contemplated whether her father had loved her or not. Maybe, just maybe at one point he did, but to leave her and to completely shattered her heart, it made her believe that he didn't.

You don't hurt the ones you love.

Right?

How can you sleep at night? I want to know how you can sleep at night knowing that you destroyed someone's take on love. How can you look at her, and tell her that you love her when your lips are touching another. Do your lies sit at the tip of your tongue, so that whenever she asked you where you were; rather than saying you were with another, you claim you were just preoccupied with a case?

I want to know how you can cheat on her every single day and not feel any sort of remorse.

How can you drag your daughter into this? How can you live with yourself knowing that you're the reason why she now wears fake smiles, and can't seem to get close to any man or woman that has ever tried to love her?

Maybe it's because you're heartless, so you caused her to use her heart less, because she thinks that everyone around her simply couldn't even care less.

Is this really what you call a family?

***

"The audacity of you people," Maggie Jauregui's voice boomed through the Jauregui - Cabellos' kitchen. The family of three were now having breakfast. Camila was scheduled to have her family session today with Doctor Briggs; meaning that her stepmother, sister, mother along with herself were all in for a bumpy ride. She didn't know what to expect, but she was anticipating the worse. Meanwhile, Lauren had to work and Izzy was heading off to school. "No one even set a plate for me. I thought I told you guys I was coming to visit!" She pouted.

"AUNTY MAGGIE!" Izzy screamed and jumped off her chair, running into the awaiting arms of her aunt. "I missed you. It's been forever." The child buried her face in the crook of the woman's neck.