Party Twenty Three: Because of You

"Hello everyone," Doctor Briggs walked around to each member of the Jauregui family, shaking their hands. "I'm a psychotherapist. I've been a marriage counsellor for almost ten years." She took a seat opposite to them. "Can you please introduce yourselves? I'll like to get to know each of you."

Maggie piped up and started talking first. "Well the name's Maggie Jauregui. Some call me Margarita. I've been a model for IMG since I was like 18. I spent two years in college studying Business Management, and might I add, I hated every minute of it." She side eyed her parents. Maggie never really liked school per say, so when she was given the opportunity to become a model, she took it without hesitation. And ever since then, she had been working her ass off doing what she loved.

Doctor Briggs nodded. "And are you single?"

"Why? You're trying to go out?" Lauren elbowed her sister, who just laughed in response. "I'm kidding! But I'm kinda seeing someone; but we're not serious or anything. It's on and off."

Clara and Mike turned their heads in the direction of their younger daughter. The look of surprise on their face didn't go unnoticed by Doctor Briggs.

"You're dating someone?" Mike asked Maggie, who simply shrugged in response.

Doctor Briggs made a note of this in her notepad. "And Mike? Care to tell us a little bit about yourself?"

Mr Jauregui cleared his throat. "Well for starters, my name is Michael Jauregui. I was born and raised in Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela. I moved to Miami when I was 16, where I attended the University of Miami Business School, and I eventually obtained my master's in Business Analytics."

Lauren sighed when her father started to talk. The thing about her dad, is that he loved talking about himself. When they were younger, that was all he ever did. When he tried to talk to his children, he always wound up talking about himself or his business because he didn't know his children enough to ask about them.

"When I was twenty three, I pooled together with a colleague of mine, and we started a car company."

Doctor Briggs observed the expression on everyone's faces when Mr Jauregui was speaking. "I'm assuming it's the Jauregui brand of hybrid cars?"

Mike nodded. "Yes, it's actually one of the biggest brands out there. I would've loved to have my daughters involved in the company," he looked from Lauren to Maggie; his gaze staying longer on her youngest child, "but they had other plans."

"Everyone has to make their own paths in their life, Mr Jauregui. Your daughters chose theirs," Doctor Briggs said. "Tell me about you and your wife. How did you two meet?"

Mike adjusted his tie before he began to speak. "Well, we actually met through a colleague of mine. His wife and Clara, were friends. He thought we would've liked each other, so they introduced us. We hit it off immediately," he smiled at his wife. "We got married when we were 27, and had Lauren about a year later. She was truly what Clara and I needed."

Lauren sighed. "Yeah, probably just to have this picture perfect family to show off to your friends," she muttered to herself.

"Did you say something, Lauren?" Mike asked his daughter, she shook her head 'no' in response.

Chelsea then turned towards Mrs Jauregui, who was sitting next to Maggie. "Clara? Care to tell us about yourself?"

Clara straightened herself before addressing the therapist, "Well, my name is Clara," she possessed a thick Spanish accent, making it a bit difficult for Doctor Briggs to understand her. "I was born in Asunción, Paraguay, where I lived until I was 25. I had visited Miami when I was 26, that's when I had met Mike." She glanced at her husband. "I had a measly salesclerk job. I didn't go to college or anything like that, when I met Mike, I was confused as was I shocked that someone like him could love me," Clara shrugged. "But he did, and we managed to make it work for many years."