Chapter 8

Hey guys!!! Hope you enjoy this chapter and please remember to follow, vote, share, and comment!
- Carly
--------------------

*Present Day*

"Please remain calm. There is a refugee center in Atlanta, Georgia. Kill on contact. Anyone but or scratched is to be brought to the CDC immediately. Please remain calm." This played on loop as Lori and I threw everything into a few boxes. "Speed it up ladies. We gotta go." Shane said as he paced around the living room, continuously looking out the windows. "We're finished." Lori said and Shane grabbed the boxes and started to pack the car. I quickly ran upstairs and grabbed my duffle bag, threw my laptop under the bed with all my chargers and what-not and shoved a bunch of clothes in.

I ran back downstairs to see Lori was taking Carl to the car. Shane came back in and grabbed my hand. I quickly grabbed my bag off the hook and we jumped in the car. We drove to the hospital. Shane jumped out and ran towards the entrance.

While we waited I grabbed my gun and loaded a magazine. I tossed the bullets and the few extra magazines to Lori and told her to fill them up. "Lori, keep these doors shut and locked while I'm gone! You do not even think about unlocking unless you see me and Shane! Stay put." I said and I quickly opened the door and shut it. I watched as Lori clicked the lock and I ran for the building.

I ran through the doors only to be met by a military member. He was all suited up and he had a gas mask on. I tried to push past him but he held me back. "Please! My brothers are in there! I have to get them!" I lied (sorta) but the man just held me back. "Please, Ma'am. We need to get this place evacuated." the man said but he was slightly interrupted by a loud explosion and the power going out. The man turned his head slightly and I pulled my fist back and slammed it into the side of his head. He stumbled slightly but that was enough for me to run by. "Rick! Shane!" I yelled.

I ran down the hall and that's when I heard the moans. I looked down a small hallway and saw a single woman emerge out of a room. She was wobbling and growling and I knew she was infected. Her skin was a sickly green color and I saw a huge bit mark on the side of her neck. I pulled my gun out and pointed it at her chest. "Stay right there!" I yelled and she just moaned in return. "I mean it! I'll shoot!" I said but she just kept coming. *Bang* I shot her in the chest but she just stumbled and got right back up. "What the hell?" I said under my breathe and I reaimed the gun. I pointed it at her head and stood there. *Bang* I shot her in the head and she fell to the ground. Jesus Christ, I just murdered someone.

I stood there just looking at the woman crumbled on the ground when I heard shouting. "Natalie! It's time to go!" I heard Shane call and I felt his hand wrap around my arm and started dragging me. I started running full speed ahead when we finally emerged from the hospital. There was military everywhere. Helicopters were flying, guns going off, tear gas, everything. We ran towards the car. I jumped in and Shane quickly started driving. "Where are we going?" Carl asked panicked and I reached back to grab his hand. "Atlanta. I need to get you guys to the refugee center." Shane said as he drove and a thought crossed my mind.

"Shane, we have to go back. Rick. He's still in there! We need to..." I said but I stopped talking when I saw his head go down. "I -- I tried Nattie. I really did. They were gunnin' people down like... When the power ran out I put my head on his chest and I.....I didn't hear anything. I even put my hand over his eyes and nose to check for breathing or movement and there was nothing..." Shane said on the verge of tears. I started crying halfway through and I heard Lori in the back. I pulled my legs up and dropped my head in between them. I just cried. I felt Shane put a hand in my back but I didn't really want anyone right now.

I heard Carl and Lori crying in the back and I shifted to look at them. Carl had his head buried into his moms side and Lori had her head leaning against Carls. Shane kept repeating to himself 'I'm sorry' when I told him to stop the car. He pulled over on the side of the road and I put my gun into my leg holster and hopped out. I walked around to Shane's door and opened it up. I held my hand out and Shane took it. We walked towards the edge of the greenery and I looked up at him. He refused to make eye contact.

My breathe started to catch in my throat as I watched Shane completely break down in front of me. I pulled him behind a tree so Carl and Lori couldn't see him crying and I leaned up and hugged him. His arms tightened around my middle as I started to cry too. We've been with Rick through it all. Whether is it's throwing mud at him when it was raining when we were younger to helping him pick out his suit for his wedding. We cried for a good 5 minutes together and then Shane pulled back and wiped his eyes. He put his hand on my shoulder and I knew that was his way of saying thank you. I sniffled and nodded and we walked back to the car. Lori was still crying but Carl was trying to hold himself together.

We drove for a while but the closer we got to Atlanta, the more crowded Highway 85 was. Only one thought crossed my mind as we were caught in traffic.

Rick was gone.