Chapter 9

Hey guys!!! Hope you enjoy this chapter and please remember to follow, vote, share, and comment!
- Carly
--------------------

*Present Day*

We have been sitting in traffic for a while. Lori had gotten out and introduced herself to one of the families in the car in front of us but I stuck back with Shane. He hit the seek button and the radio searched for anything only to find nothing but static. We both sighed and I decided that I would introduce myself to the family Carl and Lori were hanging out with.

I opened my door and glanced over at Lori. She smiled and waved me over. I walked over and and the short-grey haired woman smiled. "Carol, this is my sister-in-law Natalie." Lori said and I extended my hand. She shook it and I looked to the man watching us. "This is my daughter Sophia and my husband Ed." Carol said and I smiled and held out my hand to Sophia. She took it softly and shoot it and I looked up at Ed. I held my hand out but he didn't shake it. He just watched me as my smile faded.

I watched the kids play checkers when I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Mind coming up ahead to check it out." Shane said and I sighed. He leaned closer towards me. "The refugee center recording stopped." Shane whispered into my ear and a chill went down my spine. Why would they stop broadcasting?! I nodded and put a hand on Carls shoulder. "We'll be right back, okay?" I said and he nodded his head. "Can I come?" He asked and I shook my head. "Stay here with your momma and Carol." I said and Shane chimed in. "Hey, We'll be back before you know it little man." He said as he ruffled his hair.

We started to walk up ahead when the questions came pouring out of my mouth. "Why would they stop broadcasting about the refugee center? Are they turning people away?" "I don't know. They'd have a riot on their hands if they tried." There was a loud explosion and a few guys started fighting as we passed them. Shane grabbed onto my arm to keep us moving. "What do we do?" I asked as we moved forward. "We're gonna do what Rick would have wanted us to do. I'm gonna get you, Lori, and Carl out of here."

Just then three huge helicopters flew overhead. "You stay with me now. Come on." Shane said and we started running towards the sound. We jogged down into the edge of the trees and I almost tripped over a log but Shane's hand shot out and caught me. I thanked him but my face went cold. I looked towards the city and saw hundreds of helicopters flying overhead with their spotlights shining down on the streets.

The entire side of the city erupted in flames and I watched as they dropped bombs on the city. My heart started pounding and I felt my eyes blur and my nose burn. "They're dropping Napalm in the streets." Shane said and my breathe caught in my throat. "Shane. What do we do now?" I said and my voice cracked. Shane looked over and held out his arms. "Come here." I snuggled into his arms and started crying. He rubbed my back and I felt his chin against my head.

What do we do now?