Chapter 40

Hey guys!!! Hope you enjoy this chapter and please remember to follow, vote, share, and comment!

- Carly

--------------------

*Present Day*

A few of the men told us to go back to our rooms while they went to scope it out. I swear I know what decontamination means. I've heard it before, it just won't come to me. I sat down on the couch in the room and laid back, trying to think. Daryl was pacing back and forth and he eventually left the room. He was gone for about five minutes and then he walked back in with a bottle of wine, half gone. He offered me some but quickly rethought it and I rolled my eyes.

I heard a clanging noise and I glanced up at the ceiling. Daryl stood up and had his hand under the vents. He glanced back at me and shook his head. I stood up and went to feel myself when the lights went out. "Daryl?" I said and I saw his hand on my arm. "Wasn't me." He said and we both moved quickly towards the door. Jenner walked through the halls and everyone asked questions. "Hey, what's going on? Why is everything turning off?" Daryl said from inside out door and I watched as Jenner stole the bottle right from his hands.

Daryl grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the room but quickly let go. I followed him as he followed Jenner. "Energy use is being prioritized." Jenner said as we all follows him down the hallway. "Air isn't a priority? And lights?" Dale asked as the hallway lights shut off. "It's not up to me. Zone 5 is shutting itself down." Jenner said and I picked up my pace. "Hey! Hey, what the hell 's that mean? Hey, man, I'm talking to you. What do you mean it's shutting itself down? How can a building do anything?" Daryl said as we walked into the big room. "You'd be surprised." Jenner said and I heard footsteps down below us. "Rick?" Lori asked and I leaned over to see him hold his hand up, telling us to stay put.

We all followed Jenner anyway. "Jenner, what's happening?" Rick asked. "The system is dropping all the nonessential uses of power. It's designed to keep the computers running until the last possible second. That starts as we approach the half hour mark. Right on schedule." Jenner said and we made it to the computers. He started walking up the stairs but he stopped and turned towards us. He gave the bottle back to Daryl and looked at Andrea. "It was the French." He said then walked up the stairs.

There was a short silence. "What?" Andrea asked. "They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know. While our people were bolting out the doors and commuting suicide in the hallways, they stayed in the labs till the end. They thought they were close to a solution." Jenner said and he started towards a computer. "What happened?" Jacque asked. "Same thing that's happening here. No power grid. Ran out of juice. The world runs of fossil fuels. I mean, how stupid is that?" Jenner said.

I glanced around and then back to Jenner to see him walk away quickly. Shane jumped after him but Rick stopped him. "To hell with it, Shane, I don't even care. Lori, Natalie, grab our things, everybody, get your stuff, we're getting out of here now!" Rick yelled and we all started towards the doors. A loud alarm started going off and I glanced back at Rick and Shane. The screen lit up with a countdown clock from 30 minutes and Vi read it aloud to us.

I glanced around to see all the women were terrified. I was terrified. What the hell is going on?! Decontam .... Oh fuck. Oh Shit! Oh My God. I remember now. We have to get the fuck out now! I ran towards the door and just as I was going through Daryl grabbed my arm. He pulled me back and looked me in the eyes and he knew I knew what it meant. The shutters slid up, trapping us inside, just as he let go and I slammed my fist against it. Oh fuck. "Did you just lock us in? He just locked us in!" Glenn yelled and I started panicking. I slammed both fists against the door and started yelling to let us go.