Chapter 8: Winds Of The North

That night, Sigyn set out of the palace, iIn her armour and a cloak she walked the cobblestone streets and bridges of the night. It was quiet tonight in the city. Usually every tavern was full of some celebration, but tonight all celebrations and feasts where put on hold due to fear of the sound of the horns. Only a few people still wandered the streets, and the occasional feast or gathering in a tavern.

And luckily, the princess went unnoticed. Under her cloak she carried a basket with the strap slung over her shoulder. She left the streets and headed into the woods that would eventually lead up into the mountains.

She hiked up a small dirt path, nearly loosing it a few times, before she could see a camp fire in the distance. She continued towards it until she reached a small camp site where she found her companion gazing up into the stars.

"Heimdall." she announced her presence.

"Sigyn." he greeted, still gazing up into the starry night. "You should have not wasted your energy to see me."

"Nonsense!" Sigyn scolded and sat on the log next to him, setting the basket down. "What happened to you was unjust. And not only that, you are my close friend."

He finally turned his striking golden eyes upon the princess. "I thank you for your kind words."

Sigyn smiled brightly, "I brought you food and beverages." she opened the basket to show the ale, water, and foods he can ration. "You should not be out here living in the darkness of the woods."

"I get by." Heimdall smiled kindly. "With your help, of course, princess."

A comfortable silence fell upon them as Heimdall dug into the basket, taking out freshly cooked meat to eat along with a mug of water to pour himself.

Sigyn leaned back looking up the night sky above her. The swash of colour and stars the shown brightly, while she enjoyed the warmth of the fire.

"I always favoured the night." Sigyn says softly, listening to the sounds of the night. "So peaceful, yet theres always someone celebrating something."

"Yes, I can hear it from here all night long." Heimdall chuckled. Sigyn laughed with him, it was good to have someone familiar close again, someone that wasn't 'Odin' all day long. They're laughter died down as Heimdall ate, before asking,

"Heimdall, was it you?"

"What do you speak of?" he asked curiously.

"The sound of the horns... across the Nine Realms... was it you that blew the horns?"

Heimdall's dropped his hands and stared out into the fire while Sigyn awaited an answer. he sighed saying,

"Yes. It was me."

"Why?" she asked leaning her elbows on her knee's. "You know what that signifies?"

"Ragnarok?" he concluded. "I'm aware."

"Did you see me with the Volva?"

"I turned my gaze upon you, yet I could not see." Heimdall answered. "But, I am guardian of the Bifrost, I have seen the signs. And yes, the Volva called out to me, asked me to sound the horn in the temple in the northern mountains."

It was almost like Heimdall read Sigyn's mind. She just wondered if the Volva had anything to do with it, and he confirmed her suspicions.

"I see..."

"You should head back." Heimdall suggests. "It is late, Loki would be looking for you shortly... never mind, he has already begun looking."

"Believe me, Heimdall, If I could I would have you back with in an instants to replace that great big oaf guarding our realm." Sigyn muttered. "I would not trust him to protect the Bifrost."

"I have been watching, every time someone called out for the bifrost." Heimdall says sadly. He missed his job, standing int he observatory, answering the calls of the Asgardians and summoning the Bifrost. He missed gazing out into the universe from there.

"Where Loki found him...?" Sigyn trailed off in a wonder. "Making you a criminal, labeled as a traitor to the throne. It is not fair."

"I am just as loyal to the throne, princess." Heimdall reassured. "More than so, to you."

Sigyn let out a airy chuckle before standing, "If you should need anything. Anything at all, don't be afraid to call out."

"You have my thanks." Heimdall nodded his head in acknowledgement. Sigyn turned on her heel swiftly and began the trek back to the palace.