Chapter 49: Long Live The Queen

The late king, Iwaldi, entered the hall of Vanaheim, leaning on his cane for support as he trekked towards the throne, flanked by warriors. He wore a silver cloak with detailed beading and a long red cape that dragged behind him, his flawless white hair reaching to his lower back, shrouded with a crown of branches intertwined with leaves.

The hall fell silent as he stood above his people one last time. "People of Vanaheim." his voice echoed effortlessly for all to hear. "Even in the most tragic state of time, we mourn those who have been taken from us. But- in our time of mourning, we raise another to take my place on the throne." Iwaldi motioned his hand towards the open hall doors, there Sigyn entered wearing a blue gown fitted with golden fittings and a long blue cape.

" Iwaldi motioned his hand towards the open hall doors, there Sigyn entered wearing a blue gown fitted with golden fittings and a long blue cape

Vali walked by her side, a sad smile adorned his face. Several Handmaidens flanked their sides, carrying Sigyn's dress. Men, women and children all bowed as they passed, watching eagerly.

Sigyn looked down as she passed by the crack in the tiles where her spear had struck and where the blood stain was washed. She took in a breath and held her head high as she approached the foot of the steps.

Vali's hand left his mothers and took his place to the side with the four handmaidens. Iwaldi stepped down one step, his cane clicking on the marble tiles as he began, "My daughter. My heir. Only if Freya were here to see the women you have become, she would be proud."

Sigyn smiled up at her father

"From the day I took the burden of the crown, I have sat upon this throne and I have watched our people grow. Now I pass this crown to you, and for the remainder of your rule, you too, will watch our people grow and thrive."

"It will be my honour." Sigyn says softly looking up at her father. The corner's of his mouth turned into a small smile. She could see how proud he was in his eyes.

"With these vows, you pledge yourself as the pillar of the fifth realm of the World Tree, Yggdrasil."

"I do."

"Do you pledge to protect this realm?"

"I do." Sigyn replied firmly.

"Do you pledge to always put the peoples needs before yourself?"

"I do."

"Do you pledge to rule with dignity of a warrior? A Goddess?"

"I do."

Iwaldi stepped down again as a handmaiden held out her mother's crown. A golden crown shrouded with spike like figures.

The handmaiden, Turid, bowed her head as Iwaldi handed another his cane and lifted the crown from her hands. Iwaldi turns back to his daughter, stepping down with difficulty without his cane.

Sigyn lowered herself to her knees and tilted her head down as her father stood over her with the crown held in his hands above her head.

"And so by the power invested in me, in my father and his before, and by the people of this Realm we call Vanaheim. In witness by the All-father and the Nine Realms of the World Tree Yggdrasil..." he placed the crown over her head, the braids holding it up in place perfectly. Sigyn closed her eyes feeling the weight of the crown sitting on her head.

"I now make you Sigyn daughter of Freya, goddess of Fidelity, widow of the Trickster, and Queen of Vanaheim."

Sigyn let out a breath hearing her new tittle. She opened her eyes to see her fathers boots. "Rise and claim your throne." Iwaldi stepped out of the way, his cane handed back to him, clicked on the marble.

Sigyn rose to her feet. She ascending up the steps. The eyes of her people and the visors all staring at her. Sigyn turned swiftly on her heel, her dress twirling around her legs as she sat in the throne. Her arms resting on the arms of the throne and her head held high.

Unexpectedly, the hundreds of people gathered all erupted into cheer. Blue banners dropped over the black, signifying the new ruler. The warriors all banged their weapons against their shields in union.

The same warm feeling filled Sigyn's chest along with a smile. Sigyn looked to her son who was clapping with the crowd.

The people all sunk to their knee's in a wave chanting, "Long live the Queen! Long live the Queen!"

Only if Loki was here to rule at her side. How proud he would have been. Sigyn then stood as the chanting stopped.

She said, "People of Vanaheim, I swear to you as your new Queen, I will revive the nine realms

She said, "People of Vanaheim, I swear to you as your new Queen, I will revive the nine realms. Restore them to their former glory and I will make the Vanir fleet the most feared in all the universe. But a new generation will prosper and the child inside me, and the ones that stand here, will be our future!"

The people erupted with cheers. Vali looked up at his mother with shock hearing her words. He was going to be a brother again.