The Losing Score

Inside the healing pavilion, Usagi, Donny, and Leo were doing all that they could to try and cure Hisako's affliction. Unfortunately, her condition just continued to worsen. As Donnie wiped sweat from her brow for the hundredth time that hour, the four guards carrying the Daimyo entered the pavilion.

"Master Healer!" one shouted. "The Daimyo is in need of your gifts!"

The master healer, who had been overseeing Hisako's treatments, immediately ushered the guards towards a private chamber near the back of the pavilion. As the doors closed, Usagi turned to them in confusion and worry.

"The Daimyo did not look well." he remarked. "Perhaps he was attacked."

"Maybe by the same person that attacked Hisako." Leo deduced.

"But who? And why?" Donny questioned.

"We have to trust that the Daimyo's son will handle those questions." Usagi insisted, looking down at Hisako sadly. "I fear what will happen if we leave your sister unattended for long."

...

Out in the arena, the remaining fighters were called together once again. Raph and Mikey looked at the other five contestants, seeing a distinct lack of their siblings.

"Oh man, both Leo and Donny failed to make the cut." Mikey realized.

"Hisako too." Raph pointed out. "They must be kicking themselves so hard right now."

"Yeah, but I would never be so unsportsmanlike as to rub it in their faces." Mikey insisted.

"I would." Raph retorted without missing a beat.

Mikey grinned.

"Yeah, me too." he admitted. "Once this is over, we'll go find them."

As he said this, Gyoji appeared alongside Ue-Sama, who was now wielding his father's staff.

"Champions!" He proclaimed. "My father has been forced to turn over his duties as Master of the Tournament in order to deal with a delicate issue that has arisen. However, I am pleased to announce that the matches will continue this day!"

The crowd cheered happily and the champions all grinned.

"However, because of a withdrawal from the competition, we have been left with an uneven number of contestants." Ue-Sama continued. "Some time will be needed to figure out how to handle this issue. Thus, I dismiss the remaining champions for one mega-quargon, after which the matches will continue as planned."

"How long is a mega-quargon?" Raph asked.

"Long enough for us to hunt down some food, and our wayward siblings." Mikey announced. "I want them to be there when I wipe the floor with the competition, starting with your sorry shell."

"Yeah, keep dreaming Mikey." Raph remarked.

"What, you don't think I can do it?" Mikey retorted, his face somewhat serious. "You don't think I'm a contender? You don't think I'm good enough to go all the way?"

"In a word... yes." Raph responded. "Come on, let's go find the others."

He walked out as Mikey took in what his brother said. After a moment, he chased after Raph.

"I'm gonna make you eat those words, Raph!" he shouted. "You hear me?"

"Yeah, yeah." Raph waved off.

...

Up on the Daimyo's observation deck, Gyoji looked over at Ue-Sama.

"My lord, are you sure it is wise to keep your father's condition a secret?" he questioned.