Chapter 1 - One Strange Night

You heard what sounded like a scream in the distance. You figured it was a girl's scream, as it was rather high pitched.

You took in a deep sigh.

(Y/n): Here we go again.

You gathered your gear which consisted of a telescope baton, a rather sharp combat knife, a multitool, a bright flashlight, and your mask. The bottom half of the mask resembled the jaw of a skeleton, and you thought it was badass, even if a little on the edgy side of things.

It even helped when you had to intimidate people. But you were by no means a bully. The opposite, actually, you were a vigilante. You preferred the cover of the night when it came to patrolling the streets, as it kept you out of sight.

You came to be known as the Nightstalker. Though you yourself didn't choose the name, you couldn't say it wasn't cool, despite the irony one would find when they further looked into its history.

As you left your home through the back entrance, you assumed the scream came from at least a couple of blocks away. Normally, you wouldn't have been able to hear noise from that far away. But given that it was the dead of night, the scream echoed through the empty streets.

You proceeded through the backstreets in your search for any victims.

You eventually came across an alleyway, and in it you saw a trio of teenagers (young adults to be precise) harassing a young woman.

(??): Aww c'mon, let us have a little taste.

(??): Yeah, let's have a little fun babe.

The third teenager looked unsure of himself, and of what his friends were planning.

Perfect. This is going to be easy, you thought.

You decided you'd show off a little, so you extended your baton, and as it clicked into place, the girl looked at you and gasped.

The click managed to startle the teenagers, and the girl had a mixed look of confusion and relief on her face.

(Y/n): I hate to be a buzzkill, but I don't think you 3 will be having any "fun" tonight.

The first one stepped forward.

(??): You don't scare me, you're just some guy carrying a stick.

The third teenager spoke.

(??): Dylan we should really get out of here.

(Y/n): You know, your buddy sounds pretty smart. Tell you what, I'll give you ten seconds to run.

They had a newfound look of anxiety on their faces as you counted down.

(Y/n): 10..9..8..7..6..

The first teenager, Dylan, began to look for a weapon, anything he could find to defend himself.

(Y/n): 5..4..3..2...

Dylan: Ok, ok, we'll leave.

You knew he was lying, as you saw him eyeing a 2×4 lying on the ground.

(Y/n): I wouldn't do that if I were you.