Chapter 54 - A Power, Unleashed

The group had escaped the mansion, and decided on taking a longer route to return home.

While that was happening, your group was still fighting Zalga. She was much quicker and stronger than before, and it seemed like attacking her would only end in failure. You took one of the shots, meaning that only three were left.

Keeping that in mind, you ran to Zalga. You prepared your sword, and as Ann, Jess, Jane, and Slenda attacked, you swung for her hip. To your surprise, your sword bounced off, as if you slashed at a stone wall.

Not just that, but the once exposed area was now completely healed. There wasn't a single cut to target. It was as if Zalga had never been hit in the first place. You knew the mist was really beginning to hurt, as many of the other girls were starting to become sluggish.

This was definitely her plan. She wanted the girls to retreat. Whether that was so she could pick them off one by one, or make an attempt at finishing Slenda off was unknown. It would be very hard to split three shots amongst all of the girls present, but you knew they couldn't keep fighting like this.

Not unless they wanted to die.

You weren't ready to make that call, so you kept fighting Zalga for the time being. Since your sword seemed ineffective, you chose to try and use your fire against her. You launched a fireball at her chest, and she struck it with her hand. The fireball exploded, and didn't seem to deal any damage.

Masky: I hate to say it-

Hoodie: But we're on fire, and it hurts like hell!

Hillary: I'm really messed up.

Kake-Gao: [A little bit of heat never hurt anyone, but this is a lot to handle.]

The girls who weren't resistant to the mist were starting to break, and you knew it. But you couldn't let them leave, in fear of Zalga hunting them down one by one. You pulled a shot from your bag, and thought about making use of them, when you heard Benny scream. You turned your head.

You saw Zalga raise a claw, and with it, she cut Ann's head clean off. Your jaw dropped, and you stood there, shocked. Zalga turned her attention to Benny, but was stopped by Slenda.

Slenda: You and I aren't finished!

The two collided with one another, and Slenda signaled for you to get Ann. You ran to her.

(Y/n): Holy shit, Ann!

You held her body.

(Y/n): I shouldn't have...

You could feel the tears come from your eye, when to your horror, you heard Ann speak.

Ann: (Y/n).

You looked around, and spotted her head laying a few feet away from her.

(Y/n): A-Ann?

Ann: Put...My head back.

You did as you were told, and once her head reattached itself, you were amazed. Not to mention relieved.

(Y/n): How did you-?

Ann: Perks of being undead. This isn't the first time my head has been taken off. Angel and I had some nasty fights when we first met.

You hugged her.

(Y/n): I'm glad you're ok.

Ann: Same here, but for now we should focus on helping Slenda. We should also get the rest of the girls out of here.