Chapter 44 - A Harsh Farewell

A fresh wound?, You thought. But how?

Madison felt the open wound once more, and winced when she touched it. She spoke slowly, and in a tired tone.

Madison: I also have a really bad headache.

Clockwork looked at you with concern.

(Y/n): She didn't get hit anywhere near that spot.

Clockwork: Even then, this isn't a cut. It looks like she just got shot.

You felt sick.

Slenda had been sitting in the manor with a few of the other girls when she sensed Zalga's energy within the mansion. She stood, and pinpointed the source of it.

The gym?, She thought.

She teleported there, only to see you, Jane, and Clockwork huddled around Madison. The two girls noticed her, and backed away. Slenda immediately noticed Madison's wound.

Slenda recalled Madison having been shot in the head when she was killed, and questioned how the wound could've opened up like that. She had her answer within a minute.

Slenda: Zalga.

Jane: What?

Slenda: This is Zalga's doing.

Madison, who had just realized what was happening, looked to Slenda. With tears beginning to form, she asked,

Madison: A-Am I going to die?

Slenda wasn't sure how to answer that, and hearing the desperation in Maddie's voice broke her heart.

(Y/n): No Maddie, you'll be ok. I promise.

She saw the worried expression in your eye, and silently sighed. Slenda pulled you away, and told you what she had found out. In a worried whisper, you asked,

(Y/n): So Zalga's the one trying to kill her?

Slenda: Not trying.

She paused.

Slenda: She is killing her.

(Y/n): But how? And why?

Slenda: She brought Madison back using magic. That magic is what's keeping her alive. Now, she has pulled that magic away.

You sat on the ground.

(Y/n): There has to be a way to save her. I can't lose her, not again.

Slenda: The only way would be to go and ask Zalga to restore her well being. And unfortunately, we know that she wouldn't do that.

(Y/n): I just... I can't...

You were beginning to choke on your words, and as your breathing sped up, you looked at Maddie. She was holding her head, and you could only imagine the pain she was going through.

(Y/n): I can't decide. I want to stay here with her. But... I need to-

Slenda: You should stay with Madison, give her a sense of comfort and safety, despite what's going to happen.

You nodded. As a tear ran down your cheek, you asked the girls to leave. You stood next to Maddie, and she began to speak.

Madison: I have it figured out.

You didn't say a word.

Madison: That what's happening to me... It isn't good.

She looked at you, the tears running down her cheeks.