Chapter 38 - An Eye For An Eye

You remained as silent as possible in the room you were hiding in. Though he sounded like he was far away, you knew that could change at any second.

The faint moonlight came in through a window, and you could see half of a corpse laying in front of a TV. You were reminded of how Phantom made you relive killing all of the girls.

You could almost hear Benny's screams, and you shook your head. You slowly paced back and forth within the room, getting a feel for how badly you were hurt.

Your legs were in decent shape, your head (and not to mention your eye) hurt like hell, and your arms were aching. So at the very least, you could run.

Phantom: Oh (Y/n) you're funny. You're trying the same tactic that Kake-Gao tried, but hiding in the shadows won't work. I tore the mask from her face and boiled her skin. It was cruel, but so are they.

You could feel water hitting your head, and as you looked up, there was a hole in the roof. Since Phantom sounded far away, you peeked out into the hallway.

Sure enough, the rest of the walls and ceiling were rotting away, and the mansion looked as if it hadn't been touched in a long time.

Just how long has it been since he killed them?, You thought.

You left the room you were in to explore your surroundings, and when you saw a blue glow approaching the top of the staircase, you quickly hid in another room.

You could hear him opening each and every door, and you knew he would come to yours at some point. You positioned yourself in front of the door, ready to strike.

You saw the blue glow behind it, and when he turned the knob and opened the door, you could see his eyes widen.

Phantom: There you are-!

You dashed and somersaulted into his legs. You connected with his right knee, bending it in the wrong direction. Phantom flipped onto his back, and as you ran down the hall, you heard him say,

Phantom: Ah! Son of a bitch!

You could then hear him light the entire room on fire in a fit of fury. You were surprised that worked, but you couldn't pull it off again.

Phantom might have fallen for it that one time, but you knew that he wouldn't fall for the same trick twice.

Phantom: Relying on your wits? A very good decision.

You were at the bottom of the staircase, and moved into the kitchen. You quietly searched for a knife as you heard Phantom move around upstairs.

You assumed he was searching for you in the other rooms, but everytime he opened a door, he would set the entire room on fire.

This mansion won't hold up for much longer if he continues that, You thought.

You could see a small glimmer in the corner of the room, and once you approached it, there was a pair of yellow goggles and two hatchets, covered with dried blood.

(Y/n): Tami...

You picked the hatchets up and got a feel for them. They would be easy to throw, and if absolutely needed they'd make for great weapons in combat.

You saw the faint glow approach the bottom of the staircase, and you crouched behind one of the chairs in the kitchen. Thankfully you were wearing dark clothing, so hiding wouldn't be a problem.

The only light in the mansion was the moonlight that came through the windows, the many holes in the roof, and the flames coming from Phantom.

I didn't get the name "Nightstalker" for nothing, You thought.