Chapter 19: Forgiveness

Lia James

The only sound I managed to hear was the sloshing of mud in between my shoes as I ran through the sunflower maze. At this point, it was down pouring, and the five of us were drenched in sweat all trying to find the way to get out. I had a feeling we all had the same question in our head: was someone waiting for us at the exit too?

The only disadvantage being that there's only one way out, and there's no way we could split up. They could corner all of us, and then we could be thrown into jail for breaking and entering.

I wasn't sure who these people were, if they actually were the cops, or the owners were chasing after us. How could we possibly be found? The maze was in the middle of no where surrounding by trees and the faint sound of engines roaring in the distance.

The only way in and out was a lonely dirt road, and even that path took us about a few minutes to actually reach.

The eroding sound of sirens, and walkie-talkies, and the familiar red and blue lights gave us all the indication we needed as to who these people were. The fact that it was so loud was probably due to us being fairly close to the exit.

"Okay, guys." Eli gestured for us to huddle.

"We need a distraction, and a really good one. We also need fast runners, someone who is able to sprint without someone catching up to them. Lastly, we need people to get the car ready and in gear for the remaining. Got it?"

"You have a plan?" I asked him, the constant puffing of my breath made it seem like a whisper.

"I do."

"Then tell us, you dingbat." Nick flicked the back of Eli's head. But he was right, time was crucial and we need to get this plan in action.

"Julian, you will be our distractor." Eli pointed to him, and he nodded slowly.

"What do you want me to do?"

"I want you to go as far as you can up to the fence right by the policeman without getting caught. On your way, pick up as much rocks or pebbles as you can, there's plenty on the ground, and I want you to throw them at the policemen." He said carefully, making sure Julian understood every word.

"That's it?" He asked, acting like it was a piece of cake.

"Yes, but once the policemen start to chase the runners, you have to run to the car and get inside it. The people will be there already for you to open the door."

"Got it." He nodded his head.

"The runners will be Nick and I. We will be extremely close to the entrance, which is where the majority of the police officers are. We are going to run, and make noise to signal for them to follow us. That way it will give time for the others to run to the car without getting caught. Understood?" He stated firmly, and Nick nodded.

"The remaining people, Lia and Andrew, will be the ones running to the car, to get it ready for the rest of us. Wait until they go inside the maze and then that is your queue." Eli gestured for us to put out hands in.

"Let's break." We all lifted our hands up in the air, and split up, getting into position as quickly as possible. Julian walked through the sunflower maze, while Eli and Nick went the way we just came from. Andrew and I waited by the exit, which wasn't that far of a walk, and kneeled down on the ground. We limited the amount of intakes and outtakes of breath so that we wouldn't be heard. The atmosphere was silent, and that sometimes could be tricky when escaping.

Julian gave us a thumbs up before he began throwing pebbles at the officers outside. I tried looking to see how many there were, but was instantly pulled back to my original position.