Chapter 76: A Glimpse Of The Future

Lia James

"Here, let me help you." Andrew walked to my side of the car to help me out.

"Where are we anyway?" I looked around, only seeing trees and grass.

"Well, if you recall, about a few months ago, we were at a party." He started, eyeing me with a grin. "Then, when I kissed you in front of everyone, you demanded for me to talk and open up to you before we started a relationship. So, I took you to..."

"The Cliff." I finished the sentence for him. Behind the trees and grass was the entire city of San Diego.

"So, that's where we are. Let's go." He gestured for me to follow him, and I hobbled sluggishly behind him.

I tried to catch up but the crutches and my wrist were killing me, so I kept at my own pace and didn't worry about if I would lose him in the midst of the wildlife.

When we made it past the brush and trees, I saw the familiar cliff. All of the feelings attached to this place had rushed into me, like I was reliving the first time I came here.

The pain, the heartbreak, but mostly, the sense of a new beginning. A new relationship.

"So, it's kinda crazy, huh? How far we've come since the first time we've sat here." Andrew spoke as we both stood, staring at the view.

"For sure." I smiled. "We were so confused about how we felt about each other—about everything. But you took me here and opened up to me so much, it made my feelings for you so much stronger. That you were able to do that to someone, like you trust them with your whole life."

"I do." He replied without hesitance. "I trust you with everything I've got. It's definitely scary, but I do."

"I do too. You've been everything to me. You helped me when I was hurting, you were there me when I'm happy. I won't ever forget how much you've done for me. The good and the bad."

He pulled me in for a side hug, drawing me close to his chest. I inhaled his familiar Old Spice deodorant with a hint of cologne. It used to be so strong when we first met, but I've become accustomed to the smell. I actually quite enjoyed it.

"God—" He ran his hands through his hair. "The way you look at me. The way you are. It's just...everything about you is beautiful. Fuck."

I turned a multiple shades darker, as I sheepishly covered my face in his chest. When he says those sweet things to me, I feel like I'm on cloud nine. The suns a little brighter, the days feel longer, my heart beats quicker.

I love him a little bit more.

"It should be illegal for you to say those things." I told him while pulling away from his warm grasp.

"Why? Does it turn you on?" He teased which earned him a punch in the chest from me.

He laughed, and we both sat down comfortably. Andrew, who brought a pillow from the car, put it on top of my leg, so it wouldn't hurt that bad. He sat cross-legged beside me when he realized I was comfortable and okay.

"So, how's the leg?" He asked after a moment of silence.

"So, so." I shrugged. "Doc says that I'll be in a boot by prom though, which is promising."

"That's good." He smiled at me. "Speaking of prom..."

I turned my gaze from the view of the city to him, and he looked serious.

"What?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to go with me. And I know, I know. I don't have flowers, or a quartet playing a cheesy love song while I get down on one knee and ask you to prom with fireworks shooting behind me. I just thought after everything, a nice, simple gesture would be the way to go. You know, old school."