Chapter 28: Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire

Lia James

I walked back into the gymnasium.

I didn't know what to think or even what to do next, I was blank. My mind couldn't evert to anything else other than Andrew.

Just the way he looked at me when he told me that he doesn't want them to find him.

"They want me to do something...illegal."

"Well, it's kind of dangerous and I promised my parents I wouldn't get in trouble with the cops. Not again. It's too much of a risk."

Those were the only phrases running through my mind at this very moment. Even the look on his face still makes a mark on my brain. The way he looked at me with concern, like he wanted me to understand without him explaining it.

He wanted to tell me that he was afraid. That he didn't want to do it.

But Andrew's never afraid, so that kind of just doesn't make sense.

But then again, Andrew is very closed off and unhappy. I'm not sure what screwed up idea runs through his mind.

"Lia, you okay? You were gone for a while." I heard a voice come from behind me. I felt a warmth touch on my bare shoulder, what felt like a hand. I turned around to Lina, who was standing with Dante.

Of course. Can't she just have a minute alone without him?

"I just went to the bathroom." I shook my head confused. Have I really been gone for that long?

"Yeah, but usually it doesn't take fifteen minutes for someone to use the bathroom."

"I had to clear my head, Lina. That's all. It's nothing to be worried about." I told her, acting a bit defensive.

"Well, I'm sorry. Are you having a good time?"

What is up with her?

"I'm fine. I was just thinking about things, and I didn't realize how long I was in there." It was somewhat true. Plus, I didn't need to specify because it wasn't any of her business.

"What things? Like softball?" She asks.

"Yeah. Our first game is coming up soon and I'm really nervous." I lie.

"Oh." She pauses. "Well, if you need anything then just call me over. I will be at Dante's table with a couple of his football buddies."

"Guys! Guys!" Mason rushes over, his hair all frizzy and his face all red.

"One of the teachers chaperoning the dance just caught Cole pouring alcohol from his flask into a cup. He's most likely getting in trouble."

Oh my goodness. It wouldn't be a real dance without Cole acting like a complete idiot at some point, and then being caught for it.

"Are you serious?" Lina crosses her arms, and stares at him like he was kidding around.

"Why don't you look for yourself then?" Mason pointed over to the table, and a teacher was yelling at him from across the table. Cole seemed like he was trying to play it off cool, and he slipped the flask under the table. He passed it over from person to person until it reached Jace. Then, Jace slipped the flask into the pocket of his blazer.

"It seems like he's fine." I laugh, after watching what just happened.

"Why are you telling us, bro? Go help him!" She rolls her eyes, and Mason nods before taking off.

"I hate to say it but your brother is an absolute idiot." I continue to laugh.

"Hey, he's your brother too." She patted my shoulder.