Chapter 74: The Inevitable

Lia James

The next day was pure misery. The numbing effect that the doctors had given me fully worn off, and I was in really bad pain.

This was my first night alone at the hospital, and when everyone said there goodbyes, I felt lost and scared. What if the person who's after me knows I'm here and is gonna end me once and for all?

Well, that wasn't the case since Andrew snuck in past visiting hours and stayed with me the entire night. When the nurses did their final check up on me, he hid under the hospital bed, and then fixed himself a sleeping spot on the couch.

It didn't seem that comfortable but this hospital bed was so tiny even I could barely fit on it.

But we managed to sleep through the night.

I woke up to my leg, wrist, and head shooting in pain. Andrew woke up from my shuffling and sniffling every so often, and he came over to give me comfort. He would grab my good hand and sometimes even kiss my forehead to comfort me.

I was in so much pain, I just wanted to get the surgery over with so I can recover for good.

Aunt Alex had texted me early this morning that my Dad has just landed in LAX and that he would be at the hospital at noon. I couldn't wait for him to be there.

According to Aunt Alex, Henry nor Noah and Layla couldn't come and see me, which was fine. I didn't want them to see me like this. I was such a mess.

This whole situation is such a mess.

I felt helpless, useless, laying on the hospital bed waiting for the doctor to come in and tell me that I need to be prepped for surgery.

"Hey, I got us some coffee." Andrew came into the room holding two styrofoam cups.

"Hey." I spoke softly, my voice breaking.

He placed one cup on my table that was hovering over my bed, and the other he kept in his hand for himself. He looked so drained, probably from the bad nights rest on the couch.

I should've told him to go home. Be with his family.

But of course, I know him. I know he would refuse me and demand to stay here until I was discharged.

"How are you feeling?" He studied me. "You scared me half to death when you woke up, moaning in pain."

"I'm sorry." I frowned. I didn't mean to wake him up. "The medicine seemed to wear off, and it felt like hell."

"Well, you did get hit by a car." He pointed out, and I rolled my eyes.

"I just wish we can figure out who's doing this. I can't keep getting hurt, Andrew. Other people can't get hurt because of me. This needs to stop."

"I know." He sighs, taking a sip of his drink. "I know it does. We're working on it."

"Who's working on it?"

"Eli and I. He hasn't called me since we left for LA, I'm thinking maybe he's doing some investigations behind the scenes. At least I'm hoping."

I sighed, my breath shaking. I was nervous.

Nervous about my recovery. Nervous about dying. Nervous about nearly everything.

How is it possible that I might not make it to graduate? Or go to prom?

Who could be so vile as to come after me and try to kill me? I've never done an evil thing in my life! It's so unfair.

"What are you thinking about?" Andrew asked after a while.