Chapter 62: Decisions, Decisions

Lia James

"Hi honey. Surprise."

"DAD!" I screamed, running out to the front steps and jumping into his arms.

He sighs heavily. "My beautiful girl. I missed you so much."

"What are you doing here, Dad?" I asked, my heart beating a mile a minute.

"Your brother and sister just finished school for the year, and your grandmother wanted them to stay with her for a little while. I had a lot of free time on my hands, so I decided to visit for a couple of days. Plus, I couldn't miss your championship game."

I gasped.

I completely forgot about the championship softball game.

"I can't believe you're here." I smiled widely at my father. He'd been through hell and back, and I know the hardest decision he made was to let me go.

"I promise you, you're not dreaming." He put me down on my feet.

"Good." I dusted off some lint on his shoulders.

He definitely needed me in the house. I always reminded him of important dates for his meetings, or even if he had a date set up by one of his friends. He wasn't interested in a girlfriend, or a serious relationship for that matter. My mother was his first love, and he wanted her to be the only one.

My mother was great. She was kind, nurturing, and she really listened. When some kids would pick on me in middle school, I would storm upstairs without saying a word to her, and she would come up with freshly baked cookies to talk out the problem.

Dad says that I really resembled her. I personally think I look more like my father, but have my mother's instincts and personality. She was always one to put people first.

I got my mother's blonde hair and sky blue eyes. My father had dark brown hair, and green eyes. I got his facial features, but my Mom's genes.

I was a perfect mix of them both.

Sometimes I think that whenever my Dad and I have a nice conversation, he's reminded of her. It's nice to know you're a spitting image of someone whom you idolize and cherish.

My Mom was a hero.

She treated patients like no other. She was a nurse at one of the local hospitals in Maine. She bonded with every patient she was assigned to. She was actually voted Employee of the Month for five months straight.

My mother was always down for a good conversation no matter what. She never judged anyone, and treated everyone as equals.

I aspire to be half as good as she was.

"Are you going to invite me in or are you just going to stand there?" He looked at me with a smile.

I nodded, opening the door a little wider for him to enter. He looked around the house, analyzing every detail, every crevice of space. He wanted to know what type of environment I was living in.

It seems to be Dad proof judging by the impressed look on his face.

"Ben!" Aunt Alex entered the living room with open arms.

"Alex, good to see you." They give each other a bear hug.

Aunt Alex and my Dad were always close. When my mother had first introduced her to my father, it was an instant friendship. They had a lot in common.

It was one of those friendships where it feels like they've known each other their whole lives.

After my Mom died, my Dad and Aunt Alex were the ones to pick up all the pieces. They grieved with each other over the phone.