Chapter 26: Friday Night Lights

Lia James

The hype was finally over.

Today is the first football game of Eastwood High Warriors, and all the football players were excited.

They wore their blue home jerseys while the cheerleader wore there jackets and skirts around to show school spirit. Everyone dressed in Warrior school apparel to keep the hype of the game still going.

I don't have anything. In fact, it made me feel like an outcast. I was the only person not wearing something school appropriate today.

Even the principals were wearing school apparel instead of their regular shirt and tie combo. The teachers all wore blue too. Everyone. Was. Just. Wearing. Blue.

It's like I was standing out in front of a swarm of people who all look the same.

I was wearing a purple t-shirt, which was my first mistake, with cropped, ripped American Eagle jeans, and white slip-on Vans. My hair was secured in a ponytail, and I curled the ends. I also had on a white bandana that I tied around my head.

But despite my lack of knowledge about school colors, I walked into the school with my head high. I was an outcast before, I can be it again.

I walked toward my locker, which was number 1364, and I grabbed my Chemistry book and folder, as well as my other four periods of the day before lunch. I put my afternoon books in my locker for after.

"Boo!" I turned around at the sudden outburst of someone's voice. It was Lina, of course. She was decked out in Warriors clothing. But Jade also stood there, in her blue cheerleading skirt and jacket.

"Why does everyone here want to give me a heart attack?" I rolled my eyes at Luna's attempt to scare me.

"Because today is the first ever football game of senior year, and you look like a complete idiot." She tried to put it nicely, giving me a smile. I dismissed her name-calling, and answered her instead.

"I don't look like a complete idiot, I just wasn't aware that today was the first football game." I shrugged, and Jade snorted at my lack of knowledge.

I glared at her. "Geez, okay!"

"Well, good thing back at the house I have some clothes for you tonight. Don't worry." She patted my shoulder, the curls resting on her shoulder bouncing with her every movement.

"Thank God." I breathed, closing my locker and slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

"I got your back girl." Lina winked, scanning the hallway shortly after, probably looking for her boyfriend.

"So, who are we playing against?" I asked, starting to walk down the hallway to get to first period.

"Tonight, we play against our rivals: Forest Hills High. Also known as the Rams." Jade told us, flicking her hair off her shoulder.

"Have we beat them before?" I asked, and they shook their head no.

"Never. They're always so good and so ahead of us." Jade explained. "But we started early with training this year, so I think we'll have a shot."

"It's going to be such a good game. You can't miss out." Lina clapped her hands together in excitement.

"What time do I have to be there?"

"Kickoff is at seven. So be there for six-thirty if you want to get a seat on the bleachers. It's going to be a full house tonight." Jade said, excitedly.

"Oh!" Lina turned around quickly. "I almost forgot! There's a dance after the game, if we win, it's called the victory dance. So, make sure you have a dress to wear."