Chapter 72: Things End Badly

Listen to: Never Say Never - The Fray

Lia James

Rays of sun peeked out from the curtains, and splayed all over the bed. I opened my eyelids, hearing the birds chirp, and the faint sound of car horns.

It was the next morning, and we were leaving sometime this afternoon.

Last night was nothing short of a mess. While I consoled Andrew in the bathroom for what seemed like hours, he finally had the courage to get out of the shower and put some clothes on. He had told me that he was getting a headache, and he wanted to get some sleep for the ride tomorrow.

I look at my suitcase on the other side of the room, which exploded with shirts hanging out of it, with some of my night materials scattered all over the floor.

I maneuvered over to my other side, the side where Andrew lay, but it was empty. I sat up, my eyes adjusting to the brightness of the white room. I looked over toward the bathroom and the door was open. He wasn't in there.

Where could he be?

As I pondered his whereabouts, the hotel room door creaked open, and Andrew slide in with a brown paper bag in his hand.

"Where were you?" I asked softly, my voice coarse from sleep.

"There was a coffee shop a block over. I went and got us some breakfast before we leave." He put the bag on the bed, taking out its contents.

He handed me something wrapped in tin foil, and a styrofoam cup with a plastic lid. I gave him a puzzled look.

"Don't worry, it's not coffee. I know how much you hate it. It's hot chocolate, and that-" He pointed to the piece of food on my lap. "Is a bagel with bacon, egg, and cheese on it."

I let out a soft sigh. "Thank you."

He sat down on the bed with me, taking his leather jacket off and placing it beside him. He started to unravel what piece of food he had, but I put my hand on top of his.

His head jerked my way. "What?"

"I just....How are you?"

He bowed his head. "Um....I'm better. Yesterday was probably one of the worst days of my life, with us not being together coming a close second. I'm still angry and upset about the whole situation, but you being there when I needed you most last night definitely helped."

"Good." I put my head on his shoulder. "Would it be inappropriate to ask if I could kiss you?"

"You're my girlfriend, why would it be inappropriate?" He feathered a kiss on my forehead.

"I don't know, I just thought...you're still grieving from yesterday, and I wanted to ask in case you didn't want me to kiss you. I do that a lot."

"Yeah you do. And I like it."

I picked my head up, pressing a soft kiss to his lips. It wasn't long and passionate like it usually is, but it's enough for now.

I wish I could tell him how much I love him. How I'm so deeply in love with him, that I would do anything to see him happy and smiling again.

But the timing wasn't right. I was going to end up telling him before (or if) I left for college softball summer camp, but I just couldn't find the right time. Or because I was nervous he wasn't going to say it back. Like he isn't ready to love someone just yet, since his wounds are still healing.

"I'm gonna go take a shower." I informed him, and he nodded his head, pressing a soft kiss to my cheek.

I finished my meal, getting out of bed. I stretched my arms up, and Andrew watched. His eyes gazing at my naked legs.