Chapter 29: Friend Of A Friend

Lia James

I can't even express what was running through my mind right about now. Thoughts collided against each other, questions erupted throughout my mind, and I'm not sure if my brain could take it all.

Andrew was home. He was home safe. No gang leaders trying to kill him...for now.

I can't help but think about what his mother and father are thinking right now. Do they even know about him being associated with gangs? If not, what would he tell them?

This was the majority of what was going through my mind right about now. I couldn't even listen to the music to calm me down, because then I wouldn't be able to think straight. I drove the speed limit, and tried my hardest to drive as safe as I possibly could to Andrew's house.

The gate to his house was closed and the sensor on the gate scanned my license plate, before giving the green light and allowing me access to the driveway. I drove up the small incline, with evergreen trees lining both sides, along with a peachy, tan-ish brick wall.

I drove up to their house and parked next to Eli's Porsche, which was situated on the end of the garage. I didn't see Andrew's car anywhere, all that I saw was Eli's car, a BMW, and a motorcycle. The rest of the cars must be located in the garage.

I walked up to the front steps, which still had Halloween decorations beside the front door. Their was a white ghost, and a jack-o-lantern. Fall colored leaves lined the trim of the door, and their were artificial webs on both sides of the door windows. Also, a plastic spider hung from the top of the brick arch that covered the front door.

Halloween was in a few days, I pondered. It was on a Saturday, and I knew that Mason and Lina talked about throwing a party that day and inviting all the seniors and juniors for a Halloween Bash. I'm not sure if they are still sticking to those plans.

I rang the doorbell multiple times, not giving a care in the world if the people inside were eating dinner or were busy. Despite Andrew and I being on tough terms, he's still my friend and I want to know what happened.

Andrew's mother opened the front door with a smile. Her emotion made it seem like she wasn't expecting me. "Lia?"

"Hi Mrs. Price. I know it's kind of late, but Eli and Nick both texted me to come over. Am I interrupting anything?" I stand in the doorway awkwardly, waiting for her to invite me inside.

"Of course not, sweetheart. We just finished dinner and Andrew is up in his room with his friends. You can go up there if you would like." She ushers me inside, and I take my shoes off while she closes the door behind her.

"Are you sure? I would hate to impose on anything." I ask again, feeling slightly hesitant.

"You would never. You're always welcome here, Lia. Don't forget it." She gives me a cheeky smile, before making her way to the kitchen.

"Oh!" She stops, turning back around. "Remember, it's Natalia."

"Right. Sorry." I apologized, and she gave me a subtle wink before disappearing into the kitchen.

I walked slowly up the very long stairs, hearing the sounds of voices increasing in volume with each step I take. As I made it to the top, I tried remembering the last time I went to Andrew's house, and which door led me to his room.

I tried following the voices, which ultimately made me turn right and walk down the wide hallway. There was a sliver of light coming out from one of the doors, so I walked over to it. I peeked inside just a little, before opening the door.

Nick was laying down on Andrew's bed horizontally, tossing a basketball into the air while Eli and Andrew were sitting by the fireplace on the other end of the room talking. There was a girl that was unknown to me sitting on the bean bag a few feet away from the door.