Chapter 30: Dramatic Halloween Bash

Lia James

There were costumes everywhere. Clowns, Witches, Ghosts, Zombies, Vampires, anything you've ever imagined. That's what was at the school.

I didn't particularly get the memo, and I was stuck with my old jersey from my travel softball team, and was forced to wear that along with my old gray softball pants. They were a tad tight, but I didn't care. Lina would have had a fit if I showed in my regular clothes.

When we went shopping a few days ago, Lina only told me to get one costume for the party their having tonight. She failed to inform me that people have two different costumes: one for school and one for a party.

But regardless, I'm still rocking my 15 year old's pants and shirt. I'm quite surprised they even managed to fit on me. My hips have grown wider since I was that age, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to slip them on as easily as I used to. But I did it without fail.

As I got out of my car, I saw other students, especially freshman, racing inside to go talk to their friends. One of them wore a blow-up dinosaur onesie, which made me laugh. I give freshman a lot of credit, they don't seem to care what everyone else thinks. But us seniors, all we care about is fitting in and wearing normal Halloween costumes.

"Hey, 'Lame Costume' girl!" I heard someone approach me. It was Eli, and he approached to me wearing black clothing, with a red cape and fangs.

"It's not lame. I have a very good explanation." I crossed my arms in annoyance, continuing my route to the entrance of the school.

"Let's here it then." He challenges me, and I almost punched his face.

"I was in a rush, okay? Plus, I only bought one costume for the party, and I didn't realize people spend too much money to wear a piece of clothing for only six hours and then never wear it again." I shrugged, spitting nothing but the truth.

"That's true, but a softball player? Seriously? I would've guessed that you would wear that even if you didn't come to this school in the first place."

"It was the only thing I had in my closet, and the only damn sport I play." I said a little too harsh for Eli's liking, and he puts his hands up in defense.

"Retract the claws, please. I'm just very observant."

"Yeah well you being observant is going to get your ass kicked one day." I pushed his arm softly with my shoulder. He reciprocates, sending me backward a little.

We walk into the school, and the hallways were filled with noisy students, and teachers yelling at students to take their hats off. Apparently it's a "safety hazard" and I never knew why.

Eli and I walked to my locker, away from all the students, most likely freshman, trying to seem cool by breaking the rules and having teachers scold them in front of their friends.

Eli scoffs. "Freshman."

"You were in their shoes once, Madden." I pointed out to him, using his last name. I've never called him by his last name, and I think he caught it.

"Oh, so that's how it is? We're on a last name basis? I see." He pouts, crossing his arms. He leans against the locker next to me, his face turned down to the ground.

"It was only a one time thing." I assured him, patting his back.

"So, I heard you are talking to the nerds at Table 16. What's up with that?" He asked, nonchalantly.