Chapter 75: The Aftermath

After my father had helped me into Aunt Alex's car, he closed the door.

When I mean helped, I mean he did all the work. He quite literally lifted me off my feet and placed me into the seat effortlessly.

In fact, my Dad was always built with muscle. When he was in high school, he was a Varsity Pitcher, kind of like me, and he worked out everyday without fail. He used to tell me that girls would pass by him in the hallway and drool because his biceps would be poking out of his T-shirt, or he was wearing that tight shirt that showed off his "impeccable abs". At least, that's what he used to call them.

My Dad just likes to hear himself talk sometimes. I mean, has he seen Andrew? Andrew's biceps are massive. Incomparable.

Just don't tell Andrew I said that or I will never hear the end of it.

The hospital was merely twenty minutes away from Aunt Alex's house, and I fell asleep on the way there so it felt like five seconds. I practically blinked and we were situated in the driveway.

Aunt Alex, Mason, and Lina got my bags from the trunk while my Dad grabbed my crutches and helped me to my feet—well, foot. Once I placed the crutches under my arms, I hobbled to the front door.

When my Dad opened it for me, I stopped and smiled.

There was a sign just above the archway to the kitchen that said "Welcome Home Lia!" and there were balloons placed all over the ground. Mason and Lina stood at either side of the sign and pointed to it with a big smile.

"You guys did this for me?" I said with sheer joy.

"We wanted you to at least be happy, since you know, hospitals are always so sad and scary. At least now you can forget about all the hurt and pain and finally move on with your life. Like prom and graduation." Aunt Alex stated.

If only she knew.

"Thanks so much you guys, you didn't have to do it."

"It was Mason and Andrew's idea. They planned everything and I just got the sign. Eli blew up the balloons, and passed out a few times from lack of oxygen." Lina shook her head with amusement. "He's fine."

I laughed. "Where are those two knuckleheads anyway?"

"They're coming after dinner. They thought to give you some space and not bombard you while your coming home." Mason added to the conversation.

"Does this mean you guys can actually stand to be in the same room as each other without biting each other's heads off?" I suggested, raising a brow.

"You're pushing your luck, Lia." Mason replied back, and I smiled.

One day.

"These balloons are a hazard." My Dad picked one up. "Lia could trip and fall."

"I'll be fine, Dad."

"Okay." He kissed my hair. "I'm going to go help Alex with the food in the kitchen. Don't go...anywhere." He nodded, realizing I couldn't go anywhere even if I tried.

I nodded, going over to the couch. I removed the crutches from my underarms, and maneuvered onto the couch carefully. I reached for the remote, and scouted all of the channels looking for something interesting to watch while dinner was being prepared.

It took about twenty minutes of staring at the TV watching some lame show about people meeting and then getting married for my Dad to shout that dinner was ready.

He made some famous chicken casserole that Aunt Alex's parents used to make before she moved to California. It was absolutely amazing, and we really only ever had it when I was a kid with Mason and Lina. We would go over their house or they would come to our house back in Maine.