Chapter 19: Memories

James

My heart swells as I watch my broken wife who was trembling uncontrollably on the floor. All I wanted to do was scoop her up in my arms and take away all the pain she was enduring. I hated myself for the man I was showing her. I hated myself for causing her to have flashbacks of a dark memory in her life that she'd hoped to keep locked away.

She was changing me and as much as I was reluctant to the idea of becoming soft I craved to have her close to me and I knew I had to break myself down to earn a spot in her heart.

I wanted to reach out and pull her to me and entrap her in my arms and protect her from her demons, but I knew what would happen if I got too close. I'd have to go slow with her.

Her eyes that screamed innocence fell to the floor releasing endless streams that cascaded down her slender neck and dispersed into nothingness.

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry" I spoke as softly as I could desperately hoping that she'd give me the smallest of chances to let me in.

Watching as patiently as I could, I continued to stare at my beautiful wife who's gaze had wondered off staring everywhere but my eyes.

Guilt was the only emotion I felt. I've caused her nothing but fear and despair and have caused her to relive a nightmare all because of my selfish and dominating nature.

Her eyes lifted from the wooden floor to meet my soft gaze and she immediately wiped away the tears harshly causing them to redden slightly making her eyes sore. Grabbing her hand I gently pulled it away from her face carefully placing it down beside her.

Isabella's eyes widened at my unusual and unpredictable behaviour and her beautiful lips fell apart unsure as to what to say or do.

Replacing her hand with mine I gently caressed her cheek wiping away and evidence of tear drops. Rubbing my thumb gently over the redness on her eyes soothing any pain she may be experiencing. But I was unable to soothe her emotional pain. I wanted to take it away. She didn't deserve any pain, yet I've been the monster to cause hers.

Grabbing her hand I began running my thumb in a circle formation on the back of her hand trying to show her some gentleness that she'd not seen from me since I took her.

"Do you wish to talk about it my love?"

Her eyes began to water slightly and threw her gaze back to the floor but nodded slightly.

Ok remember what you read from the 'Understanding Women' book Chase got you.

The only sounds that could be heard were Isabella's slight sniffles and the calming sound of the ocean crashing against the rocks.

"We were together for 2 years. At first everything was perfect. He was sweet and treated me like a Queen but I knew it was too good to be true".

Isabella glanced up at me with fear tinting her eyes. She feared my reaction to the words that escaped her lips unsure which would set off the beast inside of me. But I was too caught up in her beautiful blue eyes that held so much pain.

"He started hanging out with different people, people who I would do my best to avoid. He began to become obsessed with money and was drunk on power. He became ruthless and cold towards me, isolating me away from everyone I loved. He had a dangerous obsession with me.  He wouldn't let me leave his sight or let me talk to anyone" she sobbed softly.

I clenched my fists hoping to restrain my anger and urge to punch a hole through the wall, but I didn't want to scare my princess anymore than she already is.

"I tried to stand up to him and fight back, but he was much stronger and knew how to silence me. He started getting angry and shouting at me over the smallest of things. On several occasions I tried fighting back until that day".