Chapter 37: Peace

Isabella

Thoughts whir around my head frantically like a swarm of flies that wouldn't leave someone alone. My best friend who had been with my through thick and thin had slept with my boyfriend whilst we were together and who also had been killed right in front of me. And here I lay in the arms of a man who's claimed the title of my husband. James. I don't know what to think of him anymore. He's so up and down. Sometimes he's sweet and soft and other times he's forceful, ruthless and cruel. Also not forgetting the things he's done to me. But being here in his arms, I feel content, safe and loved.

James was cradling me against him as if I was the most precious thing to him. His arms were so warm and strong and I knew I would be safe in his hold. Damien had fled the scene and his men were dead. As much as I wanted to look, James had a strong hold on my head not allowing me to gaze upon the bloodied bodies, but instead pressed my face against his slightly exposed chest. James had wrapped me up in his jacket as well. His scent was intoxicating.

When the gunshots went off I laid still hoping that one would hit me ending this nightmare, but instead familiar hands reached me instantly warming my body. James swiftly dressed me and I knew that James wasn't gazing at me with his usual lustful gaze, but this time with genuine care and love. I glanced up at James who had tears in his eyes and was trembling slightly. He was scared. The vulnerability in his eyes made him look like a frightened boy who was desperately trying to find home. Tears began to form in my eyes and once again they released down my cheeks uncontrollably. I couldn't stop them. I looked up at James who's eyebrows had scrunched together before gently wiping away the tears from my cheeks with his thumb.

Without thinking over my actions I smiled up at James who looked down at me slightly startled at my sudden change in expression. I probably looked like a crazy woman smiling in the midst of a shooting. But for some reason I was contempt in his arms. I felt secure. I watched as James' eyes roamed over my facial features taking his time to take in every tiny detail. If I was to ever truly fall in love, I would want them to look at me the way James looks at me. He looks at me like I'm the best thing that's ever happened to him. His stare is intimidating, but in a good way. James eyes instantly softened upon seeing my smile and reciprocated it with a beautiful genuine smile. His smile made me forget about the pain I just endured. It made me forget all the ruthless things he put me through. The happiness on his face put me in a deep trance that I failed to notice the silence in the room. The fighting had stopped and no gunshots could be heard.

I was still cradled in James' arms and he showed reluctance to let me out of them, so I stayed still. I peeked my head out of his chest and glanced around the room to see Damien's men lain on the floor, dead. But my eyes didn't miss the sight of a few of James' men dead next to them. My heart ached painfully knowing that they had lost their lives over saving me. They were dead because of me. What if they had families at home. I tried sitting up, but James, the stubborn man gently pressed my head back into its previous position pressed up against his chest.

I continued to stare up at James smiling at the happiness on his face and he nodded at his men before looking back down at me.

As I laid there safe and content I peeked through the gap in James' arm and looked at Chase who was staring at James with a sad forlorn look. I watched as his eyes fell to the floor before scanning around the room. My heart suddenly stopped as Chase's eyes fell on to mine. Emotions swarmed his tired eyes. He was covered in bruises and cuts from the ruthlessness of the men. In my moment of weakness I sought out to seek the first touch of comfort. I felt like I was cheating on Chase. We had promised a life together if we both managed to escape. And here I was laying contemplating giving James another chance whilst Chase endured pain and torture just for us to try and get me away from James. Truthfully I hated myself, but I was so torn and so confused. Chase continued to stare at me before he turned his back to me and started typing on his phone. That hurt.