Chapter 20: Taking back my life

Isabella

This is so wrong.

As I laid in James' arms he began to hum a gentle song and stroke my hair softly. This is not right. This isn't who he is. Memories of James evaded my mind and the more I thought back to all the previous events, all the pain he caused hit me like a truck and I scrambled out of his hold pushing away his arms that gave me a small glimpse of warmth and protection.

Leaping off the bed I scan the room for an object which could be efficient enough to knock him out. I had to get away from him. I've been around him long enough.

My eyes fall on the bedside table and without warning I picked up the large thick book that James had been reading and without giving James a chance to comprehend what had happened I launched the book at him mentally high fiving myself when it hit him directly on his forehead.

"Fucking hell woman" he cried out whilst holding his head.

"Where the hell did you learn to aim like that. Jesus". James pulled his hand away and grimaced when he saw blood on his hand. He picked up a tissue off the side and wiped away as much of the blood as he could.

I watched as James stumbled off the bed and wobbled towards me slowly reaching his hand out to restrain me. But as he went to grab my arm I dodged his movements and yanked the lamp off the table, only to my dismay as it was still plugged in. But there was nothing else I could use. Grunting in frustration I pulled on the lamp and with one last tug the cord snapped in two and held the lamp up with both hands as if it were a sword.

"No! How dare you try and provide me with comfort when as a matter of fact you are no better than Damien. You are just as cruel".

Blind with rage I watched as James's eyes widened and shook his head furiously. He pulled the tissue away from his head and edged closer towards me and once again reached out hoping to touch me.

As he came closer towards me alarm bells went off in my head and I swung the lamp pathetically in front of me hoping to knock him out or at least startle him. But even with an injured head he dodged lamp and forcefully grabbed it, pulled it out of my hands and threw it out of the window.

"You are nothing but a monster and have caused me nothing but pain and misery. Now tell me how you are any better than Damien".

"I'm nothing like him. I would never physically hurt yo-"

"So we're going to sit here and ignore what you've done to me, the pain you caused me. So you're telling me that because you don't physically hurt me that you haven't emotionally abused me. We're even ignoring the biggest part. How about the fact that you've forced me into marriage. You've assaulted my body and almost forced yourself upon me so does all this justify why I view you as nothing but a monster".

James stayed silent keeping his gaze locked on mine. I'd made him speechless. Maybe he'd finally come to terms with everything he'd done.

James let out a deep sigh and looked down dropping his head into his hands mumbling words I was unable to hear.

Slowly walking up to him I crouch down beside him and awkwardly pat his knee in attempt to get his attention. Slowly lifting his head up he gazed into my slightly watery eyes and lifted his hand to touch my face gently. I closed my eyes not wanting to let any tears escape, but the traitorous tears escaped without my consent letting him see nothing but weakness.

I let out a deep sigh and opened up my tear filled eyes and stared down at the confusing man sat before me.

"James, if you truly love me then set me free. Don't you care for my happiness?" I softly whisper.

"Of course I do. But happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy. I can give you everything you want, money, jewelry, cars-"

"NO! I'm not going to put on a fake smile and try to be happy. And I don't want any of those. All I want is freedom and I promise you that I will get it. I want to be happy in life, happy in the arms of a man that I want to be with, happy doing what I love. Don't you want that too. Don't you want something real in your life?".

James continued to stare at me with his usual cold gaze, but in a split second I saw an unknown emotion flood his eyes, but before I could speak it disappeared and was replaced with lust and anger.

Ugh what's new

Without warning James pushed harshly me up against wall causing me to let out a whimper of pain. He grabbed hold of each wrist and pinned them above my head against the wall.

"I'm sick and tired of repeating myself Isabella, but you are forever mine and my possession. I'd rather kill you than see you with another man-".

My stomach dropped and I looked him dead in the eyes meeting his ice cold gaze which held no warmth or love. My heart began to pound. He was deadly serious when he said those words. I had once again lost all control over my life and I was now tied to the mafia meaning my life would never be the same. I looked down on the floor to see the lamp he removed from my grasp and a wild thought popped into my head.

I either stay with him and try and get used to this lifestyle or I fight for my life and get back my freedom.

I think I'll take option number 2 thanks.

Lifting up my gaze back to his I imitate his signature smirk before lifting my knee up and connecting it with his groin. James instantly let go of my wrists and fell dramatically to the floor yelling out jumbled words as he clutched his manhood and squirmed around on the floor.

Running past his trembling self I picked up the almost broken lamp and brought it back to James and whacked him over the head as he tried to get back up on his feet. Collapsing heavily to the floor he laid still, no movements, no sounds.

Holy shit. Did I kill him?

I carefully walked around him and leaned down next to him looking for any signs that he was still alive. Leaning closer to his mouth I edged towards him eager to hear a breath escape his lips.

Cough

A loud scream escaped my mouth and I Jumped back onto the bed instantly turning to my side and grabbed the large book that I had thrown at him earlier. James let out a few groans and started to open his eyes. Unsure as to what to do I crawled to the edge of the bed and once again threw the large book and to my amusement, it had landed directly on his head knocking him out cold.

Glancing down at the clock on the bedside table I saw that it was now 6:10pm and the sun was starting to set.

Perfect

Jumping over James' body I hurried into the wardrobe pulling out a small rucksack and began throwing in numerous outfits and essentials. Rushing to the bathroom I frantically opened the cupboards throwing in whatever I could find. I didn't know where I would go or what I would do, but I knew I wanted to escape him and this could be my only opportunity.

Throwing on a pair of shorts and an over sized hoodie I pulled out James' bag from the closet and rummaged through it eager to find my passport and any other crucial items. His wallet lay on the bedside table and I made a quick dash for it. Opening it up I saw endless credit cards and stacks of money. Damn he's loaded. Stuffing the wallet into my pocket I hurry to the door and turn around to take a final glimpse at James laying still on the floor. Throwing my hood up I stuck up my middle finger at James before swiftly exiting the prison.

 Throwing my hood up I stuck up my middle finger at James before swiftly exiting the prison

Goodbye forever James.