Chapter 38: Epilouge

3 weeks later

Chase

"I'm giving you the all clear. Your wounds have healed nicely". The kind doctor scribbled a few notes down on his clipboard before looking up at me with a curious expression as I chose to stay silent not giving him a response. I was a complete mess. The girl I loved was laid on a hospital bed fighting for her life.

Getting shot by Damien hurt like a bitch, but seeing Bella close her eyes, never for them to open again hurt even more. When we made brief eye contact in the midst of the fight I knew, I knew she was ready to give up. Who could blame her. Deep down I knew I could never be with her. James would've never let her go. Or if we did manage to run away we would have to live our life in fear and caution as James would stop at nothing to get her back. That's not the life I would've wanted for my Bella. When she was freed from Damien's clutch it was James that tended to her and provided her safety. There was something different about the James I saw during the fight. He was vulnerable and scared. Maybe he truly loved her and seeing her in pain and torture broke his stone cold heart.

It hurt me seeing Bella cradled up in James' arms and watching her act so gentle towards him. He was a monster to her. But like most people who go through endless pain or suffering, they seek refuge and will go to those who provide it first. I didn't get there in time. And who knows how James would've reacted if I took her in my arms instead of him.

The sound of someone clearing their throat awoke me from my deep and endless thoughts and I rubbed my eyes hoping to wake myself up some more. I'd not slept well since Bella closed her eyes.

"How is James?" I mumble blankly. As much as I may hate James for what he did to Bella, he's still my childhood friend even if he hates my guts. A selfish part of me wished he wouldn't make it through so that Bella and I could live in peace. But we had too much history and I somewhat cared for his stupid self.

"He's recovering remarkably. Slipping into the coma has significantly helped his body to heal and recover. His wound has nearly fully healed. Now it's just a matter of time before he wakes up". A sigh of relief escapes my mouth and I nod in appreciation. My face suddenly drops and the male doctor instantly looks down at the floor. His posture sullen and still. He knew what I was about to ask. And judging from his expressions and posture I already knew what the answer would be.

"A-and how is Isabella doing?". I take the biggest gulp and stare intensely at the small man before me with fear and anticipation.

The doctor placed his clipboard down on the desk next to time and removes his glasses from his well defined, yet tired face. He lets out a loud sigh and shakes his head slightly from left to right.

"Not good. She's made no progress and is not showing any signs of recovery. There was a substantial amount of damage to the brain and she is completely unresponsive. I'm not sure if she will ever wake up from the coma she's in".

My heart ached terribly. She didn't deserve this. She was so young, so kind and so innocent. Too innocent to belong in this world. I still remember the vivid moment Bella closed her eyes. I remember how James gripped her hand in his before he succumbed to the darkness and they laid side by side both unconscious from their injuries. They were both instantly rushed out of the building and to a nearby safe house where they were immediately tended to. I was quickly taken away to the safe house after James and Isabella, but before I was escorted out I instructed important details about Damien.

After James had beat and shot Damien we all thought he was dead, but he wasn't. He was simply unconscious from his wounds. I knew that he deserved to die and it took every restraint possible not to finish the job, but I knew if James was to wake up that he would want to be the one to kill him. He would want to torture him and make him suffer. He was escorted in the same car as me and rushed off to have his wounds treated. They wanted to heal him, only for James to torture and kill him.