The Verdict

{ Katy's POV}

"After everything we've gone through, baby, I won't let them take you. I'll never let them take you." I say, holding Ava against my chest. I can tell her Anxiety is peaking because her heart beats are fast and she's shaking a little. I'm supposed to be strong for her but I think I'm even more scared than she is. 

As we wait to reconvene, we eat Chick-fil-a sandwiches and scroll through our phones.

"Mom...look at all this support." Ava says, taking a bite of her sandwich and showing me her phone screen. The trial is being broadcast on Twitch because I wanted my KatyCats to be a part of our journey and they all lit up with support after my confession to being abused.

There will be huge cat fight if this judge really thinks Ava is better with Asher and gives her up. We will revolt. Don't think we won't. #imwithkaty

"Wow...this is unbelievable..." I say, shocked at all of the posts.

"Mom look at this one! So I'm not the only one who realized the judge was flirting?" Ava says, scrolling back up and showing me another.

WHAT IS THIS JUDGE DOING! she can't be serious...flirting with the petitioner....Jesus what is America coming to...im just here to see Katy take the gold...aka Ava. 

"I sensed it too...but this judge already doesn't favor us so we have to stay on her good side. I wasn't about to bring that up." I say, rubbing Ava's back as we both finish our sandwiches.

"The court will now reconvene." A police officer comes into the room and holds the door open for us to re-enter the court. Ava looks at me and I can tell she's afraid. I am too. I hold her hand as we walk to our seat at the front. As we sit, Asher also walks in. He looks high out of his mind but of course nobody else would notice. He's great at keeping that a secret and looking innocent. But I always know.

"All rise for Judge Wright." 

We all stand as the woman who holds my baby girls fate in her hands enters the room. 

"Ms. Hudson...after looking over everything you've given me as evidence...I do see many reasons why Mr. Hughes is an insufficient parent..." My heart flutters as I look at Ava who has tears of joy In her eyes. she squeezes my hand and I look over to see Asher's disappointed face.

We've won......

"But while my personal opinion is based on evidence, it cannot affect the verdict. Since there was no prior claim of abuse in the past...I can't see any reason why the father shouldn't be present in the girls life. and that's just the way it is. I grant each parent joint custody. Ava will stay with Ms. Hudson permanently but Mr. Hughes will be granted every other weekend.Case closed."

The gavel bangs and I can't breathe. I look at Asher, smiling his wicked, manipulative smile and I look at Ava who is as pale as a ghost. I promised her I'd keep her safe. How can I do that when she will be sleeping under the same roof as a monster for every other weekend.

"Mom....." She looks at me, tears still in her eyes. But this time, they are tears of pain. I embrace her and hold her tightly against my chest. I feel a presence behind me and I whirl around. 

"I'm so glad we can at least TRY to be a happy family. Finally." He says, putting his arms around Ava who pushes him away. He looks enraged. He whispers in her ear but loud enough to where I can hear, "You ever touch me like that again I'll give you some of the same medicine as your mother..." I shudder at the thought of Ava going through that.

 I close my eyes and tears pour down my cheeks as Ava is forced to embrace him.