[ 12 ] Vulnerable

Vulnerable - easily affected to physical or emotional attack or harm; in need of special care, support, or protection

*

"I said up, lift your face up!"

Baekhyun does what he's been told, and he happens to slightly step back due to the impact of the blow, almost losing his balance. The burning sensation of the strong hand slapping his face doesn't disappear--- instead it gets worse as the pain creeps into his swollen skin.

"Don't you fucking dare look at me! Eyes on the ground!"

Baekhyun keeps his head up and his sight lowered, feeling the intense hit on the other side of his cheek. Tears are forbidden to escape his eyes, it would only infuriate Mrs. Park more. He keeps his posture straight, bearing the painful sting that cannot be compared to the growing ache in his heart.

"This is for driving my car without my permission!"

Slap!

"This is for leaving your chores at the mansion!"

Slap!

"And this," Mrs. Park says, eyeing Baekhyun with utmost dread as she grits her teeth, "This is for hurting my son and making him sick!"

SLAP!!!

Baekhyun squeezes his eyes shut, receiving the last slap on his face. Because of the rough hit, he senses ringing in his ears as though he's going deaf, together with the throbbing pain in his head. His vision goes hazy for a while before it comes back to normal.

"You thought I'm finished? I'm not yet done, come here."

Chanyeol can clearly see and hear everything from the inside. The door has a small window and the walls are paper thin. Even with the nurses and doctors roaming around the hospital, he can still witness from his bed how his mother harshly grabs Baekhyun's hair and pulls it hard according to her liking.

With ice-cold eyes, he nonchalantly watches the scene for a brief moment.

Before silently looking away like it doesn't concern him.

"Sir, your fever hasn't gone down since last night," the nurse says while checking his temperature, "Take the medicine after your check-up. You need a lot of rest."

Chanyeol nods before closing his eyes, drifting off to his pretend sleep.

*

"I'm a busy person, you know."

Chanyeol stirs from his light nap, hearing the familiar voice of a woman. Blinking slowly, he adjusts himself on the bed and watches how Yura places her bag and a basket of fruits on top of the bedside table. She sits on the chair with elegance, putting the stray hair behind her ear with a smile.

"You cut your hair."

"My husband likes it shorter," Yura answers. She notes how pale Chanyeol is lying weakly in front of her. His eyes are dull while his lips are chapped as if he hasn't had a single drop of water. "You look terrible as hell."

"And you still look ugly."

"Why are you so mean to your sister?"

"Leave if you're done," Chanyeol mutters in an almost audible voice. He looks away shortly and turns his back from her. "I want to sleep."

"The last time I saw you sick like this was when I gave birth to my daughter," Yura says, "Say, is this because of Baekhyun getting lost again?"