Chapter 27: Dolphin and Shark (Part 1/2)

Darlene sighed as she was back at school. She then saw a girl walk up to her. "Hi." The blue-haired girl said, "I just transferred to Heartland Academy. So...I'm new and I'm not familiar with this school and its surroundings."

"Oh..I can show you around if you like?"

"Sure. I would like that."

~~~~~

"What's your name?" The blue-haired girl said.

"My name is Darlene." Darlene said, "And you?"

"Night." Night said. "Do you want to be friends?"

Darlene shyly looked up at Night. "Sure..I would like to be friends with you."

~~~~~

Darlene was shyly walking by herself and Shark noticed her, and ran to her. "Hi, Darla!" He said. "How are you?"

Darlene was annoyed by Shark's presence. She shrugged in digust. "Go away!" She started walking faster to avoid Shark.

Shark kept following her. "Hey! Wait up!" He sprinted. "I just want to make sure you're okay." He lightly pulled Darlene's arm.

"Leave me alone!" Darlene shouted, showing she was mad. "I don't want anything to do with you! I don't care! I'm not going to talk to you!" She said. "Let go of me!" She pulled her arm back and accidentally revealed the bloody cuts she had on her skin.

Shark's eyes widened, being surprised by what he saw.

Darlene looked down, and turned the other way. She got lost in her thoughts as she was holding onto her arm, 'I hope he didn't see what I think he saw...my scars and my pain'.

"Hey.." Shark said. "Why do you have cuts on your skin? Did you do that?"

Darlene remained silent, not wanting Shark to know the true answer to that question. Her instincts told her to bolt away from the scene. And so she did, she kept on running and running until she got tired. She stopped to catch her breath and her eyes were watery. She frowned as she looked at the door to her home, thinking if she should go inside or not.

She was trembling with fear, and she slowly opened the door and closed it. She was relieved that she saw her dad taking a nap in the living room. She was doing her best to walk upstairs quietly so she wouldn't wake him up.

She was out of luck as soon as her dad randomly woke up and began yelling at her. "WHERE WERE YOU!?"

Darlene swallowed a lump in her throat. "Um...Dad, I just came back from school."

"School?" The dad got up from the couch. "You shouldn't be taking that long to get here."

"But..it's..." Darlene looked down. "Kinda a long way--"

SLAP!  Darlene got slapped by her dad. "I don't care!" He said.

Darlene fell down on the floor from being slapped. She got a big purple bruise on her face from the hit. "But it's..not my fault. Someone ran into me."

"I don't want you getting involved with other people. You're not allowed to have friends...you're just a stupid and worthless piece of garbage that has no use in this world!" Darlene's dad got a belt and hit her in the face.

Darlene's eyes got watery and she tried not to cry. Her dad then dropped the belt to the floor. "NOW... GO!"

Darlene quickly got up and ran upstairs to her room. She locked the door and fell on top of her bed and broke down in tears. "I can't keep living like this." she then went to her bathroom and got a knife and cut herself on her hands. Blood dripped from her hands and she started crying more when she looked at her reflection in the mirror.

She dropped the knife to the floor and curled herself up in a ball.