Chapter 40: Worth The Wait

Yuma was walking at the park outside with Tori by his side. He had his hands towards the back of his head, a position that he often used to relax. "And then, she tried to pick a fight with me," Tori said, putting her hand out and holding a pink-strawberry ice cream cone in her other hand (which matched the color of her outfit). "Like, I don't know what is up, with that girl? I'm not mean to her or anything! I'm nice. I really don't know why she hates me?"

"That is strange, Tori." Yuma replied.

"I told Rio about this and she told me that she thinks that maybe she is jealous of me? Jealous, as in thinking that I'm too pretty?" Tori eyed her strawberry ice cream on top of its cone.

"That might possibly be true. Sometimes, people can hate you for no reason." Yuma said. "And sometimes you can't do anything about it, no matter how hard you try." He said. "It's happened to me before too. Either way, you still have to keep on going with the flow."

Tori's eyes glimmered as she heard him say his last line. She gazed into his red eyes. "Yuma."

"Yes?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Do you like me?"

Yuma's face flushed, hearing her question. "Uh..." he sweat dropped. "I, uh--" it started raining really hard all of a sudden.

A strike of thunder came from the gloomy sky, it striked a tree, causing it to fall down. The tree almost fell on top of Tori. "Ahhh!--" She screamed.

Yuma quickly leaped into action by taking Tori out of the way, as he carried her away like she was a precious porcelain doll. Tori's ice cream cone had slipped out of her reach.

"Are you okay?" Yuma looked down at Tori.

Tori's heart fluttered in excitement as she stared into his eyes. "Yes. I'm alright, Yuma. Thank you, for saving my--" her lips were met with Yuma's.

"I'm sorry for the sudden kiss." Yuma put her down. He blushed. "I know you already like me, but I just wanted to be sure if my feelings for you, were true." He covered his face as he was embarrassed. "And I'm really shy, when it comes to crushes."

Tori blushed and hugged Yuma. "It's alright. I completely understand." She said, "I have been waiting for this, waiting for you. I had the feeling that you felt the same way about me. But I just wanted to wait, to be sure if it was actually true or not." She flashed a smile. "and I'm glad I waited this long, because it was worth it."