MTM.8

waiting, and waiting, and waiting

The steam blew up in my face, tickling my nose, as I lifted the cup, and the warm, sweet liquid poured itself onto my tongue. Swishing my French vanilla around my mouth, I tried my best to ignore Johnny's fingers that were pulling at the dead ends of my hair and his words that were being gently spoken close to my ear.

Only catching what he was saying every once in a while, but not bothering to memorize them. I slowly placed the mug on top of the table before leaning deeper into the booth, looking up to see Viviana giggling in Max's arms, and noticing the way that Max couldn't keep his eyes off of her.

Humans and werewolves can get along, they can even be together now. But, still. My father would never approve, my mother would have—but, she's not here.

Johnny's voice got even louder as he leaned closer into my personal space bubble, "Do you want to get out of here? It looks as though the two lovebirds need some alone time, especially since Max hasn't seen her since yesterday. Oh, what a pity."

I turned my face to look him in the eyes, and his deep, beautiful brown orbs stared back into mine. Thinking to myself, how can I ignore someone so lovable? Especially when he has to say something like that in such a tone. "Please," I teased, "you're just jealous."

"I take it that you're no longer ignoring me after my little comment about your own mate, although I feel a little hurt that it had to be about how lonely I am," he admitted with a sigh, and tilted his head to the side, "but no worries, as long as my mate doesn't take forever to show up then I'll be fine."

How bittersweet, I thought, to have to wait so long to get your supposed soulmate, your person, your one true love. Am I up to the high standards?

Moving away from the clinging Johnny, I took yet another glance at my, from the looks of it, newly mated best friend, to see the two of them completely engulfed in each other, content with just sitting side by side, and enjoying the other's quiet company. "You're right, maybe we should give them some couple time," I agreed, and easily slid out from the booth, with Johnny following my movements.

Viviana had quickly snapped out of their shared trance once she noticed that the two of us were getting up. Quite quickly, she pulled away from Max and placed the palm of her hands against the table as she prepared herself to get ready to leave even though it seemed like she was still in some type of unfocused daze. "Oh, are we leaving now?" She asked.

Max barely had time to react, his eyebrows furrowed together as his arms were still trying to pull her back into his embrace, acting on instinct.

"No," the word slipped past my lips fast, and they formed into a smile as I continued, "you stay with Max. I'm sure you missed him last night."

Viviana gave me a thankful look, "Thank you, my honey."

Johnny threw his arm over my shoulders, pushing our bodies closer as my hip bumped into the side of his long leg. "Enjoy your day!" He called behind his shoulder, and started leading our way out of the coffee shop.

The bell dinged behind us as we exited the small building, goodbye.

"Max really is a lovesick puppy, don't you think?" I asked Johnny once we stepped outside, the wind hitting my face.

"Definitely," he smiled down at me, his long, lanky body tall next to mine, "it was hilarious to see him all panicked last night, and then he had to go back to an empty home-" his voice lowered to just a mere whisper, saying the ending to himself, "-but that wasn't as funny."