MTM.21

parents, that's all

My small feet waddled against the hard wood floor, slapping and smacking. I watched my mom as I snuck through the doorway of the kitchen, she stood tall even though she was rather short, and she whisked the batter quickly with ease. Her hands wrapped around the bowl as she prepared brownies, my favourite.

It was my birthday. My day, as she would say. It was supposed to be a good day, a happy day, a day full of nothing but love. However, by the end of it there was nothing but pain.

She turned, her luscious brown hair twirling around her glowing face the same way the skirt of a dress would. Just like an angel. "Oh, sweetie!" My mom gasped in surprise. "Why are you up so early?"

I shrugged with a wide, permanent smile displayed on my lips that no matter how hard I tried to frown would not disappear. A grin that went from ear to ear. "I don't know," I hummed excitedly, my words sounding more like 'I dunno' which made it seem like I had something up my sleeve, almost as if I was planning something bad. Could I tell her that I wanted to see my birthday cake? That I wanted to get just a little peek at it? It was meant to be a surprise.

One of her perfect eyebrows lifted, "Oh, so you didn't come down here for a reason?"

Oh no, I thought. Does she know?

"Well, all I have to do now is put the brownie batter in the pan and then-" she set the bowl on the counter, her eyes drifting towards a box that was already placed next to it, "-huh. Emery, do you think that you could put the batter in the pan for me? It would be a big help."

"Yes, Mom!" I nodded my head rapidly before eagerly climbing up onto the nearest stool, and grabbing the bowl with both of my hands. The pan was right in front of me, buttered and all, I just had to pour the smooth batter into it. That was the last step until the oven. I tipped the bowl carefully, but my curious eyes wandered over to the box Mom was looking at. The centre of it was a clear sheet and I found myself staring right into it, revealing a rainbow cake full of decorative mini candies and sprinkles. Written beautifully in frosting was, 'Happy 8th Birthday, Emery!'

"Mom, I love it!" I yelled excitedly, not caring if Dad heard me or if Mom got mad at me for seeing it. I was squealing with happiness, I wanted to pick up my cake and show it off to everyone I knew. Settling with my mom, I looked back at her, smiling with all my teeth to notice that she also had a small one that matched mine. Her eyes twinkling with mischief, something I didn't quite catch at the time.

Dad came running in, his show still playing on the TV. Some things never change. Already knowing the answer, he asked with a sigh, "Don't tell me she saw it before her party?"

"Oh, sugar," was her reply.

Gasping as my body jumped up into the air on it's own, lifting up from my bed, and instantly my hand was slapped over my mouth to cage in any scream that was about to tear it's way up my throat. Real, was my only thought, so real.

Morpheus must be really affecting me. First, I'm being chased by his memories and now my own are coming after me.

It had been hours since Leo left. The poor thing didn't get a chance to explain anything to me, he had to sit through my cry as I screeched for him to leave me alone. But, in my defence, I could have done much worse than that. I could have scratched out his eyes with my short nubs for nails, or yelled squirrel and watched what that would do. But, you know what they say, don't shoot the messenger.