MTM.55

the end

The handwoven basket gently swung back and forth as the handle rested loosely in the crook of my arm. Though the wicker material was relatively bland, the freshly picked, yellow dahlias that laid inside of it sparkled in comparison—sunbathing in the warm light that was seeping through the cracks of the building.

The wooden door behind me closed with a click.

My feet traveled forward, levitating through the hallway, and the heels of my white shoes tapped with a repetitive sound that gently echoed off the walls. The stepping stones underneath my form were newly placed there, done so by the hands of Morpheus himself, and they now belonged to the first Sun Goddess shrine ever built on werewolf territory. The reason behind such edict was now known across the territory of Pack Ventus, and was currently expanding further. It quickly became united with the various other altars. The hollowed trees that had been living within the great forest had been accepting worship for Berstuk. And, the hidden passages found in the nearby flowing springs of water had received offerings dedicated to Sirona. As they remind the creatures to thank the godly for gifts of wildlife and healing, this now reminds them to praise the sun in a similar fashion.

Humming, my fingers gently clasped the stems of the blossom, gaining momentum to place them upon the sacred rock, along with the other favours of sweet berries and beeswax candles.

My fingers twitched as another presence suddenly entertained the room, and like a pin dropping to the ground, a flower fell dramatically from my hold.

A slow gasp slipped past my lips at the sight of the familiar woman in front of me—her form tall as she stood proudly with her eyes examining the abundant amount of gifts she had received. It was no surprise that I was not the only visitor to come bearing offerings, but I was the only Luna. Nonetheless, her presence was a great surprise. Áine's long, coiled hair, the colour of rich soil, cascaded down her bare back until the ends of her curls rested on the floor. She turned, ever so softly, the paleness of her dress glowing under the light of the sun that she provided. The tones of her skin acting as a honeyed remembrance of who she was, and the title she carried beautifully. The deep umber of her cheeks were being highlighted against the bright beam that was peering down through the open window.

And, with a reminiscent smile, she spoke with her voice of pure heaven, her words rolling off her tongue so sweetly, "Please, tell them all that I am sorry for putting them through so much pain, so much death, so much resentment—for everything."

I took a brave step forward, reaching out to take her hands in a tight embrace, and assured her, "They have already forgiven you. He has forgiven you. I have forgiven you."

Áine accepted my touch for a mere moment, before then pulling away and pushing a strand of my still wild hair behind my completely healed ear. There was noticeable scar tissue riddling my skin, and a lot of missing pieces, but I had decided to flaunt my injury with attractive jewellery rather than hiding it. And, besides, the gold hoops were an active remembrance of the traditional ceremony, where I had accepted both the role of a mate and the role of a luna. Despite this representing a sentimental memory for me, a flash of guilt captured her expression.

I had no longer let memories, especially forgiven ones, of the past guide my way. That way of thinking inhibited me for far too long. I shook my head and told her honestly, "I happen to like it. Morpheus tells me that it is a sign of my strength, and I often regard it as an element of my growth."

She sighed with genuine relief and innocent jealously. "I wish to feel the same, but I am not quite there yet. In truth, I feel that I will never escape from where, and who, I once was."

"I believe that healing takes time, don't you?"

Her plump lips puckered slightly. "Perhaps."

Then, instantly, the world turned a little darker.

The ashes of her body scattered away with the wind, and my mind quickly became frozen in time as I desperately tried to reach out, to feel the warmth of the sun amongst the blinding darkness, but she was gone. A noticeable chill resounded throughout the room. That is the way of the gods.

The truth was now revealed, and the misunderstood were no longer held in contempt. Yet, there was still suffering that could not be fixed overnight. There were still questions that needed answers. My confused stare locked itself onto the step where the Goddess of the Sun stood mere seconds before.

Why would she stay here? I asked myself. Though the last of her children were now safe from harm, she was still mourning a daughter. Would a mother like her celebrate after betraying her own kin? Will she ever come back down to the mortal world? To witness the suffering, the joy?

"Emery," the entrance shook as a gruff, masculine voice greeted me lovingly, "are you coming?"

"Yes," I answered, "I'm coming, Morpheus."

For now, that is all.

W O R D C O U N T : 1144

I will say this one last time, the end

Thank you so much for all the support throughout writing this book. Thank you for reading. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for adding it to your reading lists. Thank you for voting. Thank you for following. Thank you for commenting. Thank you for messaging me, privately and on my message board.

I am beyond grateful.

Mated to Morpheus has been an ongoing book for years. And, it's definitely been a learning experience. I've grown tremendously as a writer, and as a reader. I am now incredibly excited to really begin my new fascination—Land of Wolves, and to put everything that I've learned from finishing this book into that one.

I will be going through a very dysfunctional editing process for Mated to Morpheus. It will mainly consist of just going over the book, analyzing the writing and fixing up some things. There will be no proper schedule to this, at all, because it will be completely random. And, it won't be drastic. I really do think that my writing has evolved throughout the years, so I think that most of the editing will revolve around connecting everything together.

It's been a great experience, even through all the good and all the bad. I'll probably always have wishes for this book, but I know now that it was finally time to say goodbye.

Again, thank you. And, all my love! 💕