MTM.28

the existence of vampires

Morpheus had wrapped his hand around mine, covering it completely. His thumb was twice the size of my own, my hand minuscule and invisible compared to his. His body was like a heater, and the longer our hands were entwined, the faster I was becoming hot and distracted. Nervous. The connection between us was burning, the feeling of his bare skin touching mine was unlike anything I've ever felt before, and I didn't think I could ever get used to it.

My chocolate eyes stared at the ground, watching as my feet followed his, and the way our hands fit together.

In the middle of my chest, deep into the center of my ribcage, was my beating heart. Sparks ignited along my hand, sending tingles straight up through my arm, where it continued to travel all over my body. Claiming me the same way water would, slowly, but fully.

Mate.

For the first time since he's said that life-changing word, I didn't feel afraid, or cowardly, or uneasy. Instead, I was filled with feelings of being protected, safe, and secure.

It felt so unbelievably good.

A contented sigh escaped my lips as my eyelashes fluttered, pure bliss taking over my features. Maybe it was the fault of being greeted by someone as terrifying as he is, and knowing that there was nothing stopping them from tearing me limb from limb. I became lost in my own euphoria of finally letting go, no longer holding up a 'no trespassing' sign to ward him off completely, although, he never really took it seriously in the first place. But, my moment of satisfaction ended once his steps ceased and I was sent flying into him.

Morpheus turned his body to look at something on the wall, and I crashed into him without a warning. His arm squished in the middle of my chest, literally, and he barely even flinched, instead I was the one sent into a panic as I began peeling myself off of him. Quickly, I stumbled backwards as I moved away from his towering figure that I had accidentally moulded into the same way a retainer would latch onto teeth just seconds ago.

I ignored the way his lips twitched up. This was serious, after all.

He bent his head down towards the ancient picture, well, the painting. The middle of the frame held a tormentingly familiar face of a strongly built man, his lips permanently drawn as a tight frown, and his eyes glaring at whoever had the guts to stare into them. And, I certainly didn't. The image was blurry, as my orbs of vision felt the need to hide the man from me, almost seeming like an act to scare me away. All I knew was that the sharpness of his jawline was enough to slice me to death. My form cowered instinctively as I felt a wave of ice spike my nerves, a menacing aura coming at me from both the front and the side that Morpheus was standing next to, so realistic and identical that even my spine curved. Morpheus shook his head slightly as he visibly mocked the portrait of the man, "He made too many mistakes during his time," he laughed bitterly. "And, they were never easy to cover."

Now, if I wasn't so nosy I would have ran for the hills, but curiosity had always gotten the best of me. Every. Single. Time.

"Who was it?" I asked, trying my very hardest to disregard the look of the man who seemed more alive than dead, nearly popping out of the frame. I angled myself to face Morpheus, yet he continued to focus on the painting, and part of me liked to be the one to scrutinize. He was deep in thought with whatever was on his mind. However, the feel of the man's eyes digging into my side profile kept me looking at my feet, noticing the dirt that covered the bottom legs of my pajamas. And, I did not want to see what the rest of me looked like.