MTM.41

it's a dream, or a nightmare, or both

My hand slipped into a satiny warmth, one that I could only determine to be the gentle hand of the God of Sleep, and he proceeded to twirl me around flawlessly. The action smooth as though it was an intricate and private dance that he has been studying since childhood. "Morpheus?"

The name sliced through the thickness of the dreamy air, and while I knew exactly who it was, I longed for it to be someone else. My soul ached to be spun by another, and the gentle caress of that very wish curled my toes. The term 'in your dreams' did not apply, because this was my dream and he was not in it.

"Not the one you want, Emery, but I hope to deem myself useful with this message."

"Pardon?"

The wind was instantaneously knocked out of my lungs as Morph's comforting hand completely let go, and my body began to plummet down into a depth that I knew nothing of. My arms stretched themselves up towards the man who had never once given me such a fright, as fear was essentially an emotion that those being worshipped in his domain were incapable of having, and the only thing on my mind was the feeling of overwhelming hope that he would reach down and save me from the unwanted change. Yet, no matter how hard I cried out to him, all he did was frown as he watched me disappear into the unknown.

That very moment then became understood as an unhealthy mix of reality and fantasy.

All I knew was nothing and everything. The starry sky above me was starting to glow darker with each passing millisecond as I flew through the overbearing fog, my mother's favourite nightgown flowing violently as I fell.

My screams seemed to land on deaf ears only, that is until a rough hand grabbed hold of one of my flailing arms and a sting of ice ripped at my spine as a shocking result. There was a single hint of peace as my body began to float, and I soon felt a solid floor underneath my bare, shaking feet. My eyes locked with a man more mysterious than both the Morpheus' combined, and his lips stayed almost sewn shut as he stared at me with tired, horrified, and dull eyes of black. Nevertheless, there was a familiarity deep within the form. A remembrance that calmed my beating heart. Slowly, he turned my body, and my hands flew up at the sudden, burning sight.

Her full locks swam around her enchanting shape, the richness of her skin becoming lost in the aura of her pain, so hidden that her entire essence was missing: unable to be found beneath the anguish. All that was left was the outline, and the view dug itself a home into my skin.

And, although I could recognize the feeling, I couldn't understand the meaning.

"Beware of the one who shines light," a clenched whisper barely met my ear, and shivers coated my entire body.

I awoke in a rush, panting for air and coated in a disgusting layer of sweat, drool, and tears. The night was not good to me. And, after being harassed by a lifetime's worth of horrors since Morpheus stepped into my life, I was surprised that this particular nightmare was enough to send me jumping to my feet as if I had been brutally lit on fire. Well, is it really that surprising?

Ah, the Gods, always the most dramatic.

Something we have in common.

"Annora?" My voice cracked; parched.

My weak legs wobbled as I let them take the heaviness of my weight, but they held me up nonetheless. I stood as I called out again to her. "Are you near, Annora? I could really use a glass of water, and someone to talk to if I'm being honest." I was met with no reply.

The painful pounding in my head ceased to stop, and so did the warning that now occupied my thoughts: beware of the one who shines light. And, like a phobia, it lingered and repeated.

Why can't they just be straight with me? I can handle things, and if I couldn't before then at least I can now. Somewhat, maybe.

Once again, "Annora?"

My patience was beyond perfect, but the unpleasant feeling of worry was absolutely dreadful. I knew Annora wouldn't leave me alone, not willingly anyway and certainly not without a good fight. Especially since I asked her not to leave the room, scratch that actually, I begged her not to. And, as soothing as ever, she promised, "Oh, Miss Luna! I would never leave you. I will be at your side until I am no longer fit to serve!"

To be honest, I don't think she planned to leave the Alpha's floor at all that night, but I'm sure she appreciated the offer.

"Annor-" a gasp tickled my throat at the view in front of me.

I quickly stepped towards the figure nervously pacing the hallway, relying on the sliver of light from the moon to guide me as it shined brightly through the nearby windows. Blinding. "Johnny?"

He instantly looked up at the sound of my voice, a new glimmer of happiness sparkling in his eyes, and he smiled brighter than he had ever done before. "Emery, I'm so glad to see you."

"Me too, Johnny, of course. But, what are you doing here?" I asked as I turned around, even searching for the missing woman in the corners. "Where is Annora?"

"I can explain everything." I felt his fingers wrap around my wrists as he pulled me closer to him, as he usually does, but the swirling scent of iron threw me off and my head snapped up to openly gape at him.

"I don't understand. I don't-Johnny! Did something happen to you? Are you hurt? Where is Annora?" My tired voice had turned into an adrenaline powered shriek once panic had officially settled in my chest, and my eyes began to search his body, from head to toe, for any sign of pain. Any splatters of blood. Any gruesome marks. Anything visible. But, there was oddly nothing.

And so, I did something that I had never done to Johnny throughout our entire close friendship. I pulled away. An act that can be so simple, yet so unheard of for us. His touch has never been forceful, and it hadn't changed. However, Johnny's smile faltered.

All too quick, someone grabbed me from behind and a finger was stabbed into a sensitive spot of my neck. My throat was dry as the scream forcing its way up slipped and fell flat. I started to slide backwards into my attacker's arms, and it was then that I could see the back of Annora's head in the corner of my drooping left eye.

And, the pool of blood that surrounded it.

W O R D C O U N T : 1181

Okay. Hear me out.

Gemini.

Tell me your thoughts.