MTM.24

the first of many

The sweet lure of escape came with an expensive price, one that I just couldn't afford, and soon the consequence would sink in with teeth as sharp as knives.

Inevitable darkness had devoured me as soon as I stepped into it, engulfed every single piece of me as the cold air slithered up my bare skin and snuck underneath my loose clothing. As though it was an illusion, a detailed hallucination, mist wrapped around my short figure like it was a being with thousands of arms grabbing at me. And, what did I do? I ran straight into it's freezing embrace. Expecting to feel warmth, safety, and relief. Almost like I was being saved from Morpheus' grip.

Adrenaline moved quickly through my veins as I counted the seconds that I had spent flying in the air, zooming like a squirrel on crack. My legs pumped faster than I thought was possible once my feet landed on the invisible finish line, the exit, with a thud. My arms reached out until my hands just barely grasped the light of the shining moon, the blue and grey glow sparkling against the pale skin of my face. And then, my whole body was thrown out the front door by a nonexistent force. Relief exploded under my skin, sending shivers through my face, my back, and continued until they made it all the way down to my purple painted toes. There was no reason for me to slam the door shut behind me, no urge, but I secretly hoped that Morpheus would have the decency to.

Also, locking it would be appreciated.

I had no neighbors. No other house to run to. Nowhere to go to in case of a sugar or murder emergency. The town was my best shot at seeking help, as it was the closest route to other humans. But, that would have caused a whole other problem, and not one that could easily go away. I would have been filled with immense guilt for the rest of my life if I let an unpredictable hybrid follow me, especially knowingly. The thought alone made the organ in my chest constrict. I tried to shake it off, physically and mentally, but the images of what he was capable of doing stayed. The blood of the past was still splattered over the streets, buried and kept secret. The tangly hair that was originally stuck to the sides of my face with icky sweat started flicking around at my nuh-uh movement.

Viviana knew her stuff, she asked questions and studied often, but I had a couple tricks up my sleeve. My knowledge came in, well, waves, and the lessons I learned over the years, but sadly forgotten with time, were all coming back because of the storm that Morpheus was. There was no avoiding it, memories were digging their way up and becoming impossible to bury.

Years ago, during the great war between werewolves and humans, Morpheus stepped foot into that same non-supernatural town with the sole purpose of burning it down until there was nothing left but ash and bones. There was not a doubt in my mind, my family, my home, everything would have been gone with just a single command from him.

The hate I would feel for myself would suffocate me. To bring Morpheus back would be the equivalent of me spitting on my relatives graves, they fought to not be put under the control of werewolves, and for what? So that I could guide the very man that was behind it all right back to them?

My mother's voice spoke softly in the back of my head, 'They asked for equality for years, Emery. Violence was not their first choice, they begged and begged, but in the end they were no longer able to survive with our selfish decisions. They are not completely at fault, it was also us, don't you agree?' I did, once upon a time. I thought the world of my beautiful, history teacher for a mother, and I always agreed with her views. But, after the accident, everything changed.