MTM.37

like, actually missing

Morpheus' arm slipped behind his back, his hand gently placing itself on my side, and pressing. The man was now pacing in circles around the middle of the room, scratching at his head through his short, black hair, briefly pulling at the tufts. Recollection dawned on me, but the feeling of recognition was quickly lost. He divulged, rebuking himself and warning us, "And, I knew that it was going to happen soon. I could sense it, Dalnim could sense it, Ikelos could sense it, everyone could sense it! But, I could see deeper. I was able to realize and understand the threat. And, yet, I stayed silent. Waiting. Expecting. Ignoring. I did not do a single thing, barely tried, and now it has begun."

The alarming shake of his voice made my legs tremble, and my nerves wavered as my curiosity twitched once more. I glanced around, catching sight of the door leading to the bedroom, and I started to ponder about whether I should remain there or creep my way into the room where a monstrous sized bed rested.

"Morpheus-" he started, but couldn't finish as I interrupted before he had the chance to. My eyebrows pinched together. That was his voice, but that was also his name? Why is he saying his own name?

My head snapped back, gaping at the two of them as I stepped out from my hiding spot, and I exclaimed loudly, "Wait, wait, wait-" my hands waved downwards, both of them gesturing for the men to be quiet while my speech fumbled, "-there's two of you? Two Morpheus'? Same name? There's two of them? Two? Two?"

Suddenly, the air lifted. And, the dreary fog that had captivated us all turned into a cloud of elation. The man wasted no time as he confidently sauntered up to me, who was now standing tall with a mass of intimidating muscle hovering at my back, and he ruffled his hair back to its loosely styled form prior to extending his hand out to me. My fingers fell into the palm of his angelic hand, and he leaned down to place a kiss of greeting upon my knuckles. His long eyelashes relaxed against his high cheekbones, the features of his face heavenly, much too divine for this world. "To avoid unnecessary confusion, you may call me 'Morph'."

A God, I nearly gasped.

As I peeked up at my Morpheus through a charmed gaze, I noticed how his characteristics were not so daintily ethereal. He was not godlike in the sense of being delicate, untouched, and pure. No, he reeked of war, rancor, and detestation. He held his head up high, his crooked features carved handsome by bloodshed and hostility.

While I was lost in the flood of power, stuck between two beings who held more control in the palms of their hands than a human could ever be granted with in their entire lifetime, Morpheus asserted a throaty growl of irritation, and it slipped past his lips vehemently. Morpheus' arm went over my head, and grabbed Morph's wrist in a tight hold, throwing it off of me. His own hand then enclosed itself around my limp one, clutching it the same as a parent would to their child's after they had just attempted to fortuitously run away in public.

Morph held up his hands in a form of surrender. "Calm down, wolfman. I mean no harm," he assured, a subtle whistle hanging off his words. And, with an aimed point of his finger, he motioned back and forth between us proudly, wiggling, "I actually played a part in making this come true, or at least I like to think I made the process easier to handle. But, no need to thank me, because I helped you out of the goodness of my heart."

"How?" Morpheus watched him with one eyebrow pulled up, a mocking look displayed on his face. The question was simply rhetorical. And, the answer was already clearly written out on his forehead in large, strikingly bold letters. 'Help? Me, in need of help? No'.