siete

It was finally the weekend and Cesar and Arcelia were invited to Ruby's house for a "very important meeting", whatever that meant.

The twins sat on Ruby's bed with the three of their friends across them on some chairs.  While Cesar mindlessly nodded and their friends talked at the same time, Arcelia looked around the room.  Ruby did always talk about getting his own room once Mario left for college.

The overlapping chatter continued until Cesar shouted, "Yo!  One at a time, I'm not following."

Ruby, being as energetic as ever, shot his hand into the air like he was in class.  Cesar pointed at him and he smiled before speaking.  "Sorry, it's excitement.  We've been chewing on thus for the last two weeks.  And it's finally time to move forward with the plan."

"Plan for what?"

"To get you out of the gang."  Monse stated like it was the most obvious thing in the world. 

The twins both turned to each other simultaneously and bursted out laughing.  The smile across their friends' faces quickly dropped as they watched the two laugh.

Once Arcelia calmed down, she looked towards the group, purposely avoiding looking at Ruby.  "You guys are joking, right?" 

The three stayed silent and Cesar took on the rest of the conversation.  "Oh, my gosh.  No!  No, no, no.  There is no out."

"Exactly.  Once you get jumped in, you can't get out.  Unless, you get jumped out and, Oscar wouldn't do that.  It's not an option."  Arcelia explained to them.  Cesar was shaking his head and looking down as he thought about getting jumped out.

"Why is that not an option?"  Jamal asked, just as clueless as Ruby and Monse were.

"Because they beat you until you die."

Jamal nodded and then Ruby started going on one of his speeches.  He picked up 5 binders from his desk.  He passed them all out and Arcelia noticed her lavender binder stood out from the navy blue of everyone elses.  My favorite color.

"Getting a lot of cash isn't outside thw realm of possibility."

"I need a drink."  Arcelia mumbled.  She stood up from the bed and left the room to walk down the hallway.  On her venture to the kitchen, she got stopped by Ruby's abuelita.

"Mija, lo has visto?"

Arcelia furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.  "Qué es?"

"Baby Jesús.  The one blessed by the bishop?"

Arcelia shook her head.  "No, lo siento."

Abuelita sighed and went off into Ruby's room.  Arcelia went back to walking to the kitchen and barely pulled a soda out when Cesar was telling her it was time to go. 

"Can we buy more snacks on our way home?"

× × ×

Monday morning came relatively quick after the meeting was finished with.  The twins thought that their friends were done with their scheme, only to be proven wrong when they came down the stairs and heard part of their conversation.  "Right now he's got no responsibilities.  We got to get him out before he puts in work."

"Who's putting in work?  You're still with that?"  The twins knew that the three would all lie, and went after Jamal who quickly broke and admitted their lie.  "This isn't funny anymore."

"Anyone trying to reason with Oscar is like reasoning with a brick wall."  Arcelia added, not adding in the part about how only family could get through him, especially her.