veintiuno

"I told you Lil Ricky was dead.  Oscar played you." 

"Thanks, I love your positive energy, Celi."  Jamal sarcastically said.  "So that's it.  The end.  El fin, if you will."

Jamal handed his phone to Ruby's where he had a picture of Ricky's grave and the gnomes beside it.  Arcelia shivered, dolls have always creeped her out. 

"Look at the little gnomies."  Arcelia pointed out.  Over abuelita's shoulder, she zoomed in on the gnomes where there was an address. 

"We have a lead."  Ruby's abuela said.  "Go here.  Whoever is paying for the flowers on the grave knew Ricky and may know Rollerworld."

"We're so smart."  Arcelia smiled, nudging Jamal and abuelita.  In harmony, the three said "beep" and laughed.

"Mi amor?"  Ruby called out through the house.

"Duty calls.  Mi novio needs me."

Jamal nodded and pushed her away.  "Yes, go make your midget babies."

"If my kids gets Oscar's height, I'm sending them after you."  Arcelia threatened with a pointed finger. 

"There you are.  Come, Oscar is expecting me to have you home early."  Ruby said.  He grabbed Arcelia's hand and announced that he's leaving as he dragged her out.

"We don't have to rush back to my house.  Cesar's not even going yet."  Arcelia commented.

Ruby slowed down once Arcelia stopped walking and pulled her with him.  "Oscar said he wants you home before Cesar because you're a girl and a Diaz."  Ruby explained as the two strolled down the sidewalk.  Ruby stopped suddenly and Arcelia bumped into him.  "Wanna get on my back?"

Since she was tired from all the food she ate, Arcelia nodded and jumped onto Ruby's back.  Her ankles locked around each other at Ruby's stomach and she loosely had her arms around his neck as they walked down the street. 

"Don't get a haircut.  I like it like this."  Arcelia commented.  She had her elbows on his shoulders and her hands were runnibg through Ruby's hair while he walked.

"I like your thighs."  Ruby mumbled.

"What?"

"Nothing."  Ruby blurted out.  "I won't cut it."  He stated.  Arcelia smiled, kissed his cheek, and put her head on top of his. 

As Ruby continued walking, he slowed down when he saw the Santos outside of her house.  "They won't kill you, keep walking."  Arcelia ordered. 

Ruby nodded and sucked in some air before he continued walking until he ended up in front of Oscar.  Arcelia jumped down while the Santos watched and waited for Oscar to say something about how Ruby was gripping Arcelia's thighs.

"Why you back so early?"

"You said before Cesar got home."  Ruby answered, suddenly becoming scared because he thought he did something wrong.  "You wanted her home so she would be safe."

Oscar stood up and leaned down to Ruby's height, getting right in his face.  Ruby leaned back as Oscar got closer and squeezed Arcelia's hand in fear.  "I'm just fucking with you, homes.  You're safe."  Oscar nodded.  He glanced down at Ruby and Arcelia's hands and Ruby immediately let go.  "Why you still here?"

"Can he stay for a little bit?"  Arcelia asked, pulling Ruby closer to her so she was holding his arm and not just his hand.  Arcelia looked up to Ruby and Oscar waiting for an answer.  Ruby was looking down at her with wide eyes because he wasn't expecting it and Oscar was looking down at him again.  "Please, O?"  Arcelia begged.  She stuck out her bottom lip a little and made herself look innocent.

Oscar stare down at her and sighed.  "You're staying on the porch, where I can see you."

Arcelia smiled and nodded her head before hugging him.  "I'll go get my Uno cards!"

Ruby basically screamed inside when Arcelia ran in and left him with everyone.  "Why you so short?"

Ruby blinked and turned to the cholo who was all up in his face.  "My mom says it's because-"

"Did I ask?"

"But you just-"

"Enrique, leave him alone.  And put your gun away."  Arcelia said, pulling Ruby up the steps and to the table that now had blankets and a box of Uno cards.  "Do you want to shuffle them?"

× × ×

"You sure Ruby won't be embarrassed about you being taller than him?"  Cesar asked.  The twins looked down at Arcelia's outfit and Arcelia shrugged.

  The twins looked down at Arcelia's outfit and Arcelia shrugged

"Everyone's taller than him.  I dont think he cares anymore."  She shrugged.  "Buenos días, cariño!"  Arcelia said, pushing Cesar's face away and walking pass him to hug Ruby. 

With her shoes, Ruby's head came right to her chin, so when he hugged her, he said, "I like it when you're tall."

"That's because your head's in her boobs."  Monse commented.  Ruby waved her off and squeezed Arcelia tighter, slightly lifting her off the ground.  "Can we go back to Ruby's house now?"

"Dude, get you're head out of there."  Cesar said, trying to pull Ruby away from his twin, and failing.  "The PDA you guys show is disgusting."

"Says you."  Ruby responded.  Arcelia jumped on his back like the night before and the crew walked back to Ruby's house.  "I like to think we just show our love."

"Well, your love is too much, chill."  Jamal told them.

Arcelia shook her head and leaned down to kiss Ruby's cheek and jaw.  "That's not happening."  The three groaned and Arcelia and Ruby were purposely showing their love to annoy them.  "K, we're done annoying you now."

"Hola Cesar y nuera."  Geny greeted the two.  "Ruby, the snacks are on the table and I'm taking the twins with me to run some errands." 

The group got settled on Ruby's dining table and Ruby suddenly got serious after putting on a headset.  "Ok, I looked through Olivia's quincespirations and complied the best ideas on a Pintrest page in the link below her headshot."

"Where's Olivia?"  Sebastian asked. 

"The birthday girl doesn't need to be bothered with details.  Too much stress."  Ruby answered.  "Now does anyone else wanna bother with a dumb question?  Good."  Ruby said, running his hands through Arcelia's hair while she was looking at the email he sent.  "Now, I need to remind you that we are not just friends and family, we are damas and chambelanes in Olivia's court de honor, which means being honorable and dedicated."

"Cariño, breathe."  Arcelia told Ruby, grabbing his hand and rubbing her thumb on the back of it.

"Sorry.  Take a look at oyr mandatory rehearsal schedule and--"  Something started beeping and Ruby grabbed his headset.  "Excuse me, I have to take this.  Ruby's Fancy Festivities."

Everyone but Monse held in a laugh and watched Ruby walk off to talk.  "He's going to be a lot worse if he plans yours, Celia."  Sebastian laughed.

Arcelia shrugged and smiled as she watched her boyfriend.  "As long as a good party comes out of it."