treinta y dos

yall that's deadass Arcelia's personality 💀

"Abuelita, I don't even feel anything." Arcelia said, swaying back and forth between Ruby and Sebastian with her eyes glazed over. "I used to steal this stuff from Oscar all the time."

When Arcelia leaned forward to get the pipe back into her mouth. "Nope, you had enough." Arcelia pouted and leaned into Ruby.

"Mario!" The whole family was hugging Mario when Arcelia, Ruby, Sebastian and Abuelita walked in from the garage. Arcelia hugged Mario with her good arm after Abuelita did and Mario glanced between them, noticing them holding hands.

"Dude, I told you one thing before I left and you go against it." Mario said, still smiling at the two since the relationship was just too easy to predict.

Everyone had slighlty calmed down the excitement and was just crowding together around Mario. "Mario, stop with the theatrics, what's the surprise?" Geny asked.

With everyone staring at him, Mario got nervous, but before he could say anything, the front door opened. "Happy New Year!" Monse exclaimed. "Did y'all know there's a pregnant white girl on your porch?" She asked quietly. The smile on Mr and Mrs Martinez' face disappeared while Arcelia, slightly high off of Abuelita's weed, dropped her jaw.

Fast forward, everyone was seated at the dinner table while Mario's white girlfriend sat at the end, obnoxiously sucking out every drop of the Big Gulp in her hands. "Fork." Arcelia mumbled. Everyone turned to Arcelia as she lifted hers and repeated the word in different ways. "Fork." Arcelia said more aggressively. "Why does that sound weird?" Arcelia asked Ruby, holding the fork eye level with Ruby's face.

Ruby and Arcelia looked at the fork weirdly while Sebastian stared at them from across the table. "What's wrong with you guys?" Monse asked.

Arcelia turned to her, ignoring the white girl while nodding. "I'm living my best life." Arcelia said, turning back to the new member of their New Year's dinner.

"Mama, this all looks amazing." Amber said, waving her hands over the food. Arcelia overdramatically gasped and ended up choking amd coughing while Ruby laughed at her.

"I want a biscuit." Arcelia mumbled, picking at a loose strand on her sling. "Jamal, pass the bread."

"What bread? I don't have any bread." Jamal said frantically. Arcelia bitch-faced him and looked at the basket of bread directly in front of him. "Oh."

Arcelia grabbed two pieces and was going to put them in ther mouth when Ruby's hand came in between her mouth and the bread. "We didn't say grace yet."

"I do!" Amber exclaimed. "And I feel like I should clear my conscience since we're about to come into the New Year and I'm going to be the mother to a whitina."

Arcelia's face scrunched up, looking from Amber to everyone else on the other end of the table. "A who?"

"A white latina." Jasmine said, pretty disgusted with the words she was saying.

Amber nodded and continued with her story. "Okay, so there were not a lot of POC in my high school, which is really such a shame because there's a lot to learn when you just break down those cultural barriers." Amber said, taking a big breath since she said everything in one breath. "Anyway, I can't believe this is part of my personal history, but--"

"Babe, right not is probably not the best time--" Mario was interrupted by Ruby who slid his hand over Mario's mouth to stop talking.

"Continue."