cincuenta y nueve

After Arcelia went home, rather than eating, she went straight to her room and locked herself in there. She was still very much annoyed with her family and didn't feel like speaking to or seeing them, so she resorted to hiding. Then, she realized she had to shower so she quickly snuck out and snuck back into her room without anyone seeing. It wasn't hard considering how late they tended to stay outside on the lawn and porch.

Though they weren't inside to see it happen, all the Diaz boys knew something was up when they didn't see dishes or the food even touched.  Oscar was the first to try talking to Arcelia, because he honestly thought he was the favorite brother, but Arcelia just told him to go away.  Cesar and Ramon even tried to get her out with food, like she was a roach, but the result was always the same.

Arcelia heard another knock on her door before groaning and covering her head with a pillow.  "I said go away!  I don't like you anymore!"

"Are you sure?  I thought I was your favorite."  At the sound of the voice, Arcelia's head shot up before she scrambled out of bed to open her door enough so her eye could peek through.  At the sight of her boyfriend, Arcelia was quick to pull him in and close her door, unlocked this time.  "They said you wouldn't eat, so I came to make sure you're okay."

"I don't like them anymore." Arcelia told Sebastian stubbornly. Seba watched her walk back to her bed before walking out and suddenly killing her mood. Thinking he left, she went back to hiding under her blanket until she felt her bed dip. "You big bitch, go awa-"

Sebastian stared down at Arcelia with a plate of food in his hands.  "You're grouchy when you're hungry."

"No tengo hambre."

"You haven't eaten for like 5 hours.  You're hungry.

Arcelia looked up at Sebastian with a glare, and then her stomach growled, completely ruining what she was about to say.  She then sighed and sat up so she was sitting beside Sebastian.  "I hate you."

"You say that now, but you'll feel better after you get food."  Sebastian handed her the plate and Arcelia tried to make it seem like she was doing it against her will.  "I even brought you powdered donuts."

× × ×

In the morning before school started, Sebastian had left early for a baseball meeting, so the Martinez house only had Marisol, Geny and the 3 kids.  "Ruby, what's going on with Sebastian?"

"Yeah, I thought you were friends."

Ruby scoffed and put down his spoon into his cereal bowl.  "He's a traitor, not my friend."

"Well, you're living together, so be friends again."  Geny stated, washing the dishes as she talked to Ruby.

"No, he stole my girlfriend." 

Geny and Marisol both looked at him, then each other, then back to each other.  "Since when?"

Ruby shrugged because he tried to avoid everything about their relationship.  "Like 2 months ago?"

"Why did you guys break up anyway?"

"Yeah, I thought you were in love or something." 

Geny came to the table with her coffee mug, waiting for Ruby to answer.  She and Marisol heard Ruby mumble something with his head down, but couldn't make out what he was saying.  "What?"

"I kissed Jasmine at the dance."

Geny spit out her coffee, then looked at Ruby with her eyebrows furrowed.  Her jaw hung as Marisol sat frozen, before they both slapped the back of Ruby's head.  "You cheated on her?!"

"It was just one kiss."

"Flirting is cheating and you decided to kiss one of her best friends?"  Geny stated in disappointment.  "And you're mad at Seba because he makes her happy after you broke her heart?"

Ruby looked at his mom, shaking his head.  "No, I'm mad at him because- wait, what?" 

Geny and Marisol stared at Ruby as he took in their words.  They both shook their heads before Geny stood up.  "I have to take the twins to school."

× × ×

Arcelia spotted Sebastian with his baseball friends from down the hallway and ran over

Arcelia spotted Sebastian with his baseball friends from down the hallway and ran over.  All his friends saw were arms wrap around Sebastian's waist before Arcelia's head poked through.  "Buenos días."

"Hey, Arcelia." They greeted. "Anyways, thanks for the Chem notes, Seba."

Arcelia watched the group walk away before she looked up at Sebastian who was already smiling down at her. "You look so cute when you wear your glasses." He complimented. Sebastian grabbed her cheeks and squished them before leaning down to kiss her in the middle of the hallway.

"Why are your hands so big?"

"Why are you so small?"

"See, that's what I wanna know because Oscar and my dad are giants."  Arcelia hugged Sebastian's waist tighter as they both walked down the hallway to get to their math class.  "Maybe I'll grow later.  I grew two inches in summer."

Sebastian's eyebrows rose and he mockingly measured Arcelia against him, using his hand to go from the top of her head to his chest.  Ruby rounded the corner and watched Arcelia punch Sebastian's side before holding his forearm and continuing to walk.

"Why are you watching them?"

Ruby jumped and turned around to look at his friends who all were shifting their eyes from Ruby to Arcelia and Sebastian who couldn't walk without teasing each other in some way.  Ruby fixed his button up before he cleared his throat.  "My mom and abuela said some things this morning and I realized I should apologize to Arcelia."

"And Sebastian."  Monse added.

"Why would I apologize to him?  He's the one that should apologize to me!"

Monse, Jamal and Cesar all looked at each other before shaking their heads.  "Dude, you've been treating Sebastian like crap.  Even when he was just being a friend to Arcelia."  Jamal stated.

"Yeah, you kind of drove both of them away."  Cesar added, making Monse and Jamal nod their heads.

"Okay, I get it!"