diecisiete

"I'm a bad bitch, I'm a bad bitch." Arcelia chanted, staring at herself in the mirror after putting eye drops in her eyes. She spent a lot of time crying last night, even though she told herself to not get in her feelings. She was fine until she started telling Oscar why she was upset and started sobbing like her dog died.

She started putting on concealer once she did her eyebrows and proceeded to finish her face. Next was her hair, which she told Oscar to put into two braids since she couldn't do hair to save her life. She already picked out her outfit the night before, so she slipped it all on, her high waisted jeans going on before her socks.

Arcelia walked out of her room, ignoring Cesar who was coming out of his room looking like a hot mess. Arcelia put her backpack on the table and went to make herself cereal. She sat at the kitchen table scrolling through Snapchat when she felt arms around her shoulders from behind and a head beside hers.

"Lo siento, gamela." She heard Cesar whisper, followed by a kiss to her temple. Arcelia made no sound or movement, but continued to eat her cereal. "I know I'm a shitty excuse of a brother and that I'm supposed to protect you. I'm sorry you felt like I cared more about Monse and Olivia. I'm sorry for not sticking up for you all those times Monse insulted you. And I'm extremely sorry for not talking to you about how you feel. I didn't realize that you would be... hurting after what Monse told everyone." Cesar mumbled, his head still right beside Arcelia's.

"Your breath smells like shit."

"Celia, I'm serious." Cesar protested, flicking her ear to get her to focus. "Lo siento mucho."

"I mean, we live in the same house, so I guess you're forgiven." Arcelia mumbled, putting a spoon of cereal into her mouth.

Before Cesar could say anything, she was up and out the door. Oscar was already in the impala smoking a joint when Arcelia got into the car and she just stared at him like she was expecting him to give her some.

"No." He told her simply, putting the joint out and back behind his ear.

"Can I drive?"

"When you get your own car, maybe."

Arcelia huffed and moved when Cesar got in the backseat. The car ride was quiet, besides Oscar's music, and Arcelia stared at herself in the side mirror.

Unfortunately, the ride to the school was quick. Cesar was quick to jump out while Arcelia took her time saying goodbye to her older brother. She always did wonder why Cesar never appreciated all that Oscar did for them.

Arcelia was about to shut the door when Oscar called her name. She turned to Cesar, already seeing him walking away, and went back inside the car. "If you don't tell Cesar, I'll teach you how to drive this week."

"Really?" Arcelia asked excitedly.

"I said maybe."

"When you say 'maybe' to me, it's always yes." Arcelia responded. She was going to say something, when police lights came from behind them and a knock was on the window.

"Picking up little girls, Diaz? You trying to end up back in prison?"

Oscar's smile dropped and was replaced by his signature scowl. Areclia notice his jaw clench as he turned around to look at the nosey officer outside the car.

"She's my little sister."

The cop glanced between the two's scowls and hummed. "Sure she is. Stay out of trouble, Diaz."

The two siblings watched the cop car pull away and glared at surrounding bystanders. "What a puto."

× × ×