cuarenta y uno

The Santos were all hanging out in the front yard, as usual, when Arcelia swung the front door open and ran out. "Oscar, we ran out of oreo cereal." She whined, shaking the cereal box upside down in front of Oscar's face.

"There's like 3 other boxes of cereal."

"But this one was my favorite." Arcelia pouted. She fixed the blanket around her and adjusted it since it was slipping down her head.

"Go eat something else. I'll get more later." Oscar pushed Arcelia back inside the house and closed the door behind her before going back to sitting down.

Pablo looked towards the front door with his eyebrows furrowed and his face scrunched up. "Why's she eating cereal at 7pm?"

Oscar shrugged and took a swig of his beer. "She's fucking weird."

The front door opened and all you could see was Arcelia in her blanket cacoon. "I heard that." Oscar stood up to close the door again, but Arcelia screamed as she slammed it and ran to her room with her bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Arcelia sat in her bed after propping her phone against her water bottle on her nightstand and started calling Ruby. A few rings later and Ruby's face appeared on her screen. "Are you eating cereal again?"

Arcelia looked down at her bowl with the spoon still in her mouth, then lowered it out of Ruby's view before shaking her head. "No. Oscar ate all the cereal."

"You told me Oscar doesn't like cereal."

Arcelia pursed her lips, then smacked them. "Leave me alone!"

"You called me!" Ruby exclaimed. "Anyways, did you need something?"

"Can you come over?" Arcelia bounced in place with her legs still in Indian position, hoping Ruby would say "yes".

"I have to put my shoes on." Arcelia smiled, then watched Ruby stand up and start walking, probably to the front door. "Mom, can I go to Arcelia's house?"

"Right now?"

"I can come back at 8."

"My brother can give him a ride home, if you want." Areclia chimed in. Ruby's phone was now turned around so Arcelia and Ruby's mom were actually facing each other.

Geny hummed, making Ruby and Arcelia impatiently wait for her answer. "I guess so."

Arcelia clapped on the other side of the FaceTime and waved to Geny. "Gracias, suegra." The screen changed again and now Arcelia was looking at Ruby's ceiling. "I love your ceiling; it's so cute." Arcelia laughed at her own joke and leaned into her pillows as Ruby started walking out of his house. "I'll stay on with you so you don't get attacked."

"Don't say that!" Ruby exclaimed, his eyes wide while Arcelia just sat on her bed, in a cacoon with her blanket. "Your house is like 2 minutes away from mine."

"Do you want me to come outside? All the Santos are still over." Ruby nodded his head, so Arcelia stood up with her phone and started walking to the front door, her blanket cacoon still around her. She stepped out onto the porch and stood there, staring at Oscar because he turned to look at her weirdly. "Stop looking at me, ugly."

"Go inside, Celia."

Arcelia shook her head in refusal and started swaying. Ruby appeared from behind the neighbors' tall bush and started timidly walking up to the porch. "Mi suegra said you have to take him back home at 8." Arcelia said, pulling Ruby into the house while he waved to Oscar. Arcelia shut the door and started running down the hallway with her hand tugging on Ruby's.

Ruby watched Arcelia fly over to her bed, and then tuck her slipper covered feet under her. "Wanna play Uno?"

× × ×

liked by ruby

liked by ruby.martinez, tamaljurner, and 329 more
arceliamfdiaz whoever painted this is a god
view 25 comments

jasflores titties
arceliamfdiaz where?
ruby.martinez   Dang it 😔 i wasn't first this time
— arceliamfdiaz it's okay, you're still #1 in mi corazón 🖤
tamaljurner excuse me while i THROW UpP
sebas_g   your blonde is fading
— arceliamfdiaz   Don't remind me 😔

× × ×

Arcelia and Ruby walked hand-in-hand down the hallway with Jamal, on their way to buy tickets for the Valentine's dance. "Guys, Cesar and I are like yin and yang! No one would've guessed but we're like... siamese fraternal twins giving each other hugs in the womb."

Arcelia gasped and looked up to Jamal. "I have an ultrasound picture of Cesar and I doing that."

"Oh my god, we're triplets! I finally have a brother! Someone who gets me. Someone who stays up all night and debates Martin versus Tolkien, Marvel versus DC, and Big Foot versus the Yeti." Jamal ranted happily. "We're tight, like Trump and Putin."

"Oh, not Trump." Arcelia cringed.

Ruby made the same face and shook his head. "Yeah, we don't support."

"Oh, you know what I mean. Anyways, I can't live like this anymore, not without telling him how much he means to me." Jamal sighed. He spotted Cesar and Monse at the table selling the Valentine's tickets and raised his hand to be seen. "Hermano!" He exclaimed. Jamal started rolling his "r" and dragged it out as he yelled again, "Hermano!"

Monse, Arcelia and Ruby all looked at Jamal throw hid arm over Cesar's shoulders. "I can get your ticket if you need some me time." Monse suggested.

Cesar nodded with a smile. "Thanks, catch you guys later. Think I need some me time."

"Great idea, I'll join you." Jamal called out to Cesar. "Ruby, buy my ticket."

Arcelia waved to Jamal and Cesar, then moved up in the line with Ruby. "I'm gonna win that competition, just saying. So don't be skurred."

Monse looked at Ruby then shook her head. "Of what? Two please."

"Of my exceptional dance moves."

Arcelia nodded as Monse paid for her and Cesar's tickets. "It's true, him and Jasmine already have their dance ready."

"Save your money, I got you guys covered." Ruby and Arcelia turned to see Jasmine holding up a pair of tickets.

"It has? By who?"

"That's for me to know and you to never find out." Jasmine smiled, touching Arcelia's hair like she was a dog. "So, what's for lunch today?"

I have an idea for drama but idk if I wanna do it 😔