2

Standing in the kitchen, Scarlett pours a cup of coffee

Standing in the kitchen, Scarlett pours a cup of coffee. Her eyes are fixated on the counter below, her lip in between her teeth. She feels so guilty about yesterday. Her father could've been so close to figuring out yet she had to go mess things up — like always.

Out of the corner of her eye, she sees him walk into the computer lab. She grabs the cup before walking up behind him. "Here you go, dad." Scarlett mutters, setting the mug down on the desk. He nods at her before abruptly stopping. A beep sounds throughout the room and Scarlett looks around, confused.

Her head snaps to her dad, who has brought up the security footage and Scarlett sees a group of people on the screen, yelling to be let in. "Dad, we have to let them in!" Scarlett yells, watching as most of the group gives up.

"We don't know what they're like!" Her father retorts, shaking his head and Scarlett rolls her eyes. "So we're going to leave them to die?" She asks, glaring at him. "If you don't let them in; I will. Either way, they're coming in." Scarlett growls, stepping up to the computer.

Edwin clenches his jaw before hitting the button that opens the shutters. "Get me my automatic." He demands Scarlett and Scarlett smiles widely before running to the door and grabbing the gun mentioned.

Scarlett grabs her pistol before handing Edwin his gun. They walk into the elevator, pressing the 'up' button.

Edwin cocks his gun, startling the group. Scarlett stands beside him, her own gun pointing towards the group. "Anybody infected?" He calls out and the guy in the cop suit replies, "One of our group was." He pauses before continuing, "He didn't make it."

Scarlett bites her lip, lowering her gun. "Why are you here? What do you want?" Scarlett speaks up, her and her dad walking forward. "A chance." The same guy answers and Scarlett chuckles.

"That's asking an awful lot these days." Edwin tells him and Scarlett tilts her head to the side. "I know."

"You all submit a blood test. That's the price of admission." A small smile appears on Scarlett's face as she realizes that the group will be safe. "We can do that." The guy mutters and Scarlett nods.

"You got stuff, you bring it in now. Once this door closes, it stays close." Scarlett raises her eyebrows in confusion at his words but shakes it off. The males of the group head back out to get their belongings and Scarlett switches her gun back to safety before sticking it in the holster.

The males make it back inside and VI seals the main entrance shut. "Rick Grimes." The guy introduces himself and looks between Scarlett and Edwin. "Doctor Edwin Jenner."

"Scarlett."

Everyone crowds into the elevator and Scarlett stands in front of a kid. "Doctors always going around packing heat like that?" A guy speaks up from the back and Scarlett looks over at him. "There were plenty enough lying around, I familiarized myself with it." Edwin replies back to him and Scarlett looks back at her dad.

"You all look harmless enough." He says and Scarlett looks down at the boy. "Exceptionally you. I'll keep my eye on you." Scarlett jokes with him and a small smile appears on his face.

♢ ♢ ♢

"Where is everybody? The doctors, the staff." Rick asks and Scarlett licks her lips, standing beside her dad. "I'm it. It's just me and Scarlett here."

VI welcomes everybody after a woman speaks up about her. "I'm all that's left."

"We're sorry."

That's all people say nowadays.