27

Cleaning up around her cell, Scarlett hears footsteps behind her

Cleaning up around her cell, Scarlett hears footsteps behind her. She turns around, looking at the person. "What?" She asks, staring at Merle. "Ya' know," He pauses, sitting down on her bed. "He told me you begged him." He finishes and Scarlett glares at him, her eyes narrowed into slits. "I don't want to talk about this." She snaps and Merle shrugs, chuckling.

Scarlett lets out a huff before sorting her books out on the small desk. "Are you in here for a reason?" She asks, turning around. Merle looks away from her books, looking into her eyes. "My lil' brother cares for ya'. I wanted to talk to the special lady." Merle admits and she scrunches her nose up, eyeing the man. "He don't care for me. He cares for the group, there is a difference."

Merle shakes his head, a smirk on his face. "When I told him my part of the story, he flipped out. He grew some balls for a second, pushed me against a tree. My brother don't know what feelings feel like, he don't understand. Take care of him." Scarlett tilts her head, her hair falling into her face. "Daryl doesn't need protecting."

"Ya' see, that is where ya' are wrong. He does, he needs someone to help him mentally." Merle says, surprising Scarlett. "Did you just say something somewhat smart?" Scarlett asks and Merle lets out a laugh, walking out of the cell. Scarlett leans against the desk, her arms crossing over her chest.

He needs someone to help him with his inner demons. The ones that keep you up at night. The ones that make you doubt your worth, that make you doubt you're loved. The inner demons that haunt your dreams at night. Nobody should have to deal with them, but it seems only the best people do.

She looks away from the ground, grabbing her weapons and walking out of the cell. She slides her knife into the holster before stuffing her pistol in the back of her pants. Her sneakers squeak against the floor, causing everyone to look up at her. Mumbling an apology, she moves past everyone. Staying towards the back near Daryl.

Scarlett silently listens to the debate going on about Merle Dixon. Glenn doesn't believe Merle should stay, Rick doesn't have a choice but to let him stay; it's stupid shit. That's what Scarlett believes. They're stupid and shouldn't be arguing over something so small.

"Shut up! Merle isn't the guy we should be worrying about. It's the governor." Scarlett yells at everyone, looking around the room, eyes wide. Everyone looks at her, guilty expressions on their faces. "The governor was the one that started this war and we're going to end this. We survive together." She preaches and everyone nods their head, agreeing with her. "Now, we need to figure out what we're going to do about the bastard." Scarlett scowls, her nails digging into her palms. Hershel looks at her, a frown appearing on his face. "I can't believe I'm saying this but we need to leave."

Scarlett furrows her eyebrows, shaking her head at him. "Run? That's what he wants!" She immediately shoots down the idea, sitting down on a stool. "So what you're suggesting is that we fight?" Glenn asks and Scarlett bites her lip, nodding her head. "It's the only other option. Merle, what do you think the governor is planning?" Scarlett turns towards him, her eyes filled with curiosity. "The other day was just the start. He's not gonna stop until all of us are dead."

"Or he's dead." Scarlett corrects, rolling her eyes. She looks back at Daryl. "Do you think we should run or fight?" She asks him, his input important to her. "Ya' already know what i'm gonna say."

"Great." She says, a smirk on her face.

♢ ♢ ♢

Scarlett stands behind Daryl, watching as Rick consults with Andrea. "I'm not an enemy, Rick." Andrea says and Scarlett steps out from behind Daryl, an upset look on her face. "We had that field and courtyard until your boyfriend tore down the fence with a truck and shot us up." Scarlett narrows her eyes at the woman and Andrea turns her head towards Scarlett, staring at the scar on her cheek. "He said y'all fired first."

"He's a liar." Scarlett spats, feeling the anger build up about the governor. She takes a deep breath before mumbling an apology. She stalks off away from the group, heading up the guard tower.

She's done with anyone who is close to the governor.