58

Her blue orbs peer out from behind her eyelids as she slowly opens her eyes

Her blue orbs peer out from behind her eyelids as she slowly opens her eyes. Squinting her eyes, she sits up, grabbing ahold of her head as blood rushes to it. Her fingers graze a bump in her head and she winces as pains soars through the spot. Pulling her hand away from her head, she gazes around, noticing some other patients.

Her feet touch the ground and she walks over to a woman, her work ethic returning back to her despite her head pounding. "Did Denise check you out already?" She croaks out, her voice raspy from the lack of water. The woman nods before pointing behind Scarlett. "That man still needs to be tended to." Scarlett swirls around and instantly regrets the decision as she almost falls to the ground due to dizziness.

Quickly catching her balance, she notices the bandage around her hand, her eyebrows furrowing as she examines the piece. Shaking the pain off, she walks over to the man. "What happened, Daryl?" She asks, her fingers touching his shirt and raising it up. She leans over his shoulder, looking down at the cut. Cringing at the sight, her eyes meet his. "Some bastards cut me." He mumbles, automatically breaking the eye contact.

Confusion crosses her mind as she grabs some alcohol pads and bandages. Walking back towards Daryl, she avoids looking at the scars on his back. Unwrapping the wipes, she clutches his wrist in her hand before setting the wipe onto the cut. Out of the corner of her eyes, she sees Daryl clench his jaw in pain before turning his head in the other direction. As she continues to clean the infected cut, she looks up from his shoulder blade. "Did I do something?" Her voice squeaks out.

This man makes her feel weak in the knees, makes her feel guilty whenever he's mad at her. No one has ever had that affect on her, not even Spencer.

Daryl peeps down at her before looking back at the wall. "No." He simply states, ignoring the voice in his head telling him to give in to her. Scarlett lets out a frustrated groan, letting go of his wrist. "I can't fix nothing if you won't tell me what I did!" She exclaims, keeping her voice low. Daryl rolls his eyes, fixing his eyes onto the ground.

"Ya' didn't do anythin'. It's what I didn't do. Happy?" He spats, anger clear in his tone. Scarlett bites her lip, wrapping the bandage around the cut. "I don't understand." She utters under her breath, clearly confused.

"I ain't the one that saved ya', Scarlett. Spencer saved you. Ya' would've died if it wasn't for him." Daryl confesses, guilt building up in him. He's guilty because he saw what was happening but he couldn't get off the truck in time, she would've been dead if Spencer didn't save her. Scarlett chuckles, securing the bandage and standing in front of Daryl. Reaching her hand up and grabbing his face, she forces him to look at her in the eyes.

"I could care less if Spencer saved me that one time. I would've been dead at the CDC if it wasn't for you. You have saved me so many times and not just from the dead. You've saved me from myself and my messed up thoughts, that's more than what Spencer has ever done." She whispers, her eyes searching his. She drops her hand and lowers her eyes, her hands grabbing the supplies.

"Your arm is done. You can leave." She mutters, walking away from him and towards the supply rack, setting then all on the metal rack.

Daryl scolds himself in his mind for upsetting Scarlett, that's all he seems to be doing nowadays. But it's not his fault he doesn't know how to deal with this whole crush thing.